Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Momma got fired!"

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
  • 23 Replies

So I had a stroke earlier this year, and I used my FMLA time in rehabilitation, and when I went back to work they fired me because I got the flu.  I was out 1 day, I had sick time, but they said I had been out too much in the past, I had, because I had a stroke while sitting at work, which I got written up for, as I did not have available sick time the day it happened, so they fired me. 

Anyways, I have never been fired before in my life EVER.   I worked my butt of there.  I went to work on days I shouldn't have.  And worked on my days off and overtime and helped with every stinking extra project there was.  And here I am, fired.  To say I was hysterical is the understatement of the century.  Not only was it humiliating, it was confusing.  I didn't know what to do. 

I went home and called my husband and sobbed to him, who told me we would be fine.  And then I went and picked up my son from Grandma's.  He was confused by the early pickup, and then by the sudden change of schedule that week.  He asked why I wasn't going to "my building"  as he always called it when I went to work.  I told him I had been fired.  So suddenly I am with my son all the time.  And let me tell you my son is loving it.  He thinks having Momma home is the greatest thing EVER.  He is smiling all the time, happy all the time.  And he tells everyone we see "Momma got fired!"  with utter delight!  At first I cringed in horror.  Then I realized he is just happy to have me home all the time.  Just happy to have me all to himself day after day.  And when he told the grocery checker, and the guy at the pet food store, and everyone we know instead of dying of embarrassment, I smiled.  I realized what a great thing it is, time with my son.

I will admit learning to be a SAHM is not easy, I am still confused, and exhausted, but part of that is the stroke talking.  And although I am looking for a new job, I will admit my job search is not as diligent as it could be.  I am thinking I want to be here for my son.  For a long time to come.  It means a lot of big lifestyle changes, but I think it might be worth it.  Is it wrong that I suddenly look at Momma getting fired as a good thing?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C.Fleury
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Sorry you lost your job, however it sounds like a blessing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM
5 moms liked this
I am sorry that happened! I am not a "run to a lawyer!" type person, but the way they treated you doesn't sound right to me. I would talk to a lawyer and see if they can do that. In the meantime, cuddle your little boy! They grow up too fast!
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it's not wrong that you're looking at it as a good thing. Obviously your son looks at it like a good thing. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Don't rush into getting a new job if you don't have to. Enjoy your time being a stay at home mom!
homecandlebiz
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I would also consult an attorney. And enjoy the time home with your son.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:08 AM
:-) no, I think you were wrongfully terminated and could prove it, honestly....
But if you guys can save up a nest egg ( incase god forbid something else happens) and your husband can support you for awhile.
Rest and enjoy your son. You realize that before " mommy got fired" bubbles started... He was saying " mommy is gonna be better!"

If your husband is okay with you turning in three application every couple of days instead of sixteen , I'd say let that lil one be giddy! He seems to think getting fired is THE best thing in the world! Lol.
Maybe you should look for part time if the finances work... He's obviously missed the hell out of you. First from a stroke he didn't understand and then the excitement of your loss of a job( who but a kid can make that a good thing, ya know?)
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes you need someone else to 'force' you to find out what really matters to you. I know my SIL had a similar thing happen to her -- she lost her job and found that being a SAHM was a good thing for their family -- yes, they had a lot of changes to make for a while...but she didn't regret being home one bit. Once her kids were in school full-time she got a job....at their school. For me - being a SAHM has always been what I knew I would do....and it has been my job since before our 20 year old daughter was born. Enjoy your time with your son -- and take your time looking for your next job.
Jazzy2010
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Sorry this happened to you:(
Amanda.D09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I'm sorry for your health issues and the loss of your job., but it sounds like it was a blessing in disguise.

ambertreas76
by Amber on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:45 AM

It's not wrong.  Your little boy needed you and it's almost like it was a blessing in disguise.  Sounds like Momma needed some R&R too... as much R&R as you can get being a SAHM (I've been a SAHM for the past 5 yrs so I know the work that goes into it).  I almost want to say GOOD FOR YOU!!!  Take your time finding another job.  Heal up and enjoy every moment being home with your son.

As far as your last job goes, by the situation you recalled, you may have been unlawfully terminated.  You may want to seek some legal advice.  If I were you, I would get my rear in to see a lawyer.  You may even be able to get on temporary disability for the stroke.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)