Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

He dropped a bomb on me...again!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am SO FRUSTRATED!  I had a nervous breakdown about 7 months ago and at the beginning of the stress (so about 9 months ago), my husband took over the checkbook.  He pays all the bills but I buy all the groceries and saving us money is my job.  Well, this week my husband started a new job that makes more money and is MUCH closer to home so that will save HUGE money on gas.  

He has been "off" the last 3 days or so and kept telling me he was "fine" or "tired."  About an hour ago he texts me and says that he is not getting paid for another 2 weeks AFTER this Friday (so we will be nearly 3 weeks without a paycheck).  Rent is due.  Electric is due.  Phone is due.  We don't have enough to cover it all and it is due FRIDAY.  He TEXTS me that I (ME!) need to call around to places and see about getting rent and/or electric assistance!

Now, I understand that these things happen, especially when you switch jobs.  Calling the electric company and explaining the situation to them and telling them that it will be a few days late is an option because MOST of the financial assistance places CANNOT get you in on the fly.  There are LOOONG wait lists.  No, what I am PISSED about is that he TEXTS me this news for one.  And he KNEW about it for THREE DAYS and really could have given me a heads up for two.  

He has done this before.  He waits until the last second and then says, "We are in the hole.  YOU fix it, okay?"  We are poor.  I understand that.  Just keep me in the loop.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
christineT79
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

That sucks that ur hubby didnt tell u sooner. I'm sorry for that. It sounds like he was too embarrased to tell you. As far as your bills you don't have to ask for assistance but you can call your utility companies & explain the situation. They should give you a grace period. Me & my hubby both lost our jobs about 2 years ago & went through severe money issues so I know first hand. It took me months to get unemployment benefits so in the mean time I had to do the same thing. The utility companies here gave me a few months before they would come out & shut off the electric, gas, water etc. I also called my landlord & told her the situation. I ended up not paying rent for 3 months! Once I got my unemployment benefits I paid my landlord extra money each month until I was cought up. My rent at the time was 750 a month & I gave her 1200.00 a month until I was caught up. She wasnt happy about it but there wasnt a whole lot she could do. It made more sense for her to wait it out then to evict us & have to find new tenants, plus we were living there for 6 years at the time with never having any issues like that before so she trusted us. Your utility companies should be fine with waiting a few weeks, when you get paid dont pay off the whole balance just pay off what is due to keep the utilities on. Good luck hun & don't worry, we've all been through things like this, most people understand because this crap happens.

AtillaTheHun
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I'd be pissed, too. Not just about the fact that he texts me this but also about the fact that HE could have already taken care of it or at least attempted to do so.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I hate little bombs like that. Whenever something financial happens and people need to be called my husband expects me to be the one to handle those things too. Even if he's paying for it himself, he still wants me to call for him. It's ridiculous.

C.Fleury
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I'm so sorry honey. I know how the electric company works there (pain in the ass). It's so hard to get help and help fast there. I wish I could offer words of comfort. However if you need to vent or whatever add me as a friend and ill shoot you phone number.

Stay positive hun !!!
(HUGS)
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Hugs, mama! I'm sorry he didn't tell you right away. :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)