Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

ok, so coworker thought this was crazy, opinions????

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM
  • 29 Replies

so for the last 4 days my 17 yo has  cold like symptoms, but she has been going to school and cheerleading at games, then Monday she pulled a muscle at practice. so today i strongly encourage her to stay home.  in the meantime my 8 yo started throwing up last night at the ballgame so he obviously had to stay home  today.

ok, here is where my coworker/friend disagree. i took the day off  take care of them, my frd thinks that  i should have went to work because  i am trying to save vacation and sick days for maternity leave, she argues that  my daughter is old enough to take  care of both. my argument is that it is wrong to have 1 sick kid watch another.  opinions???

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C.Fleury
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:28 PM
4 moms liked this
You did the right thing. It is not your oldest job to watch the youngest, especially since they are both sick
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Doesn't sound like your 17 year old is that sick but I wouldn't want to leave my sick 8 year old sick without mom. Big sister so isn't the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
givenshl
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have stayed home to care for my sick children. The oldest needs just as much rest as the youngest one when they are trying to get better.

I think you did the right thing.
Ginnygurl97
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:40 PM
I'd do the same thing mama. You need to be there for your kids when they're sick. If she was well and off school anyway I might go in for a half day or something. But if she's sick and hurt enough to stay home from school, then she is not well enough to take care of him all day. She needs her rest to get better and if she is caring for her little brother it would be hard to get that rest. Plus your boy is young enough to still want mommy when he's sick. You were absolutely right to stay home. Screw what other people think. They can parent their way. And you will parent yours :-)
Lslk
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I would have done the same thing. It is not the 17year olds responsability to take care of the 8 yo, especially when neither of them are up to par. The 17 yo needs just as much rest as the 8 yo.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Your daughter is not old enough to deal with a stomach virus. Most siblings are not capable of a vomit situation without gagging themselves. Perhaps a fever that needs a dose of Tylenol.

A coworker has nno business in how you spend your sick days anyway.

Your daughter needed physical help, your son needed " mom" not sister. They both needed you.
Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM
You did the right thing. Your kids needed you and you put them first.
LovinLife81
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM

agreed

Quoting C.Fleury:

You did the right thing. It is not your oldest job to watch the youngest, especially since they are both sick

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I always strongly disagree with older siblings watching younger ones. Mainly because I was forced to do it when I was younger. My sister and I still aren't close because of that. 

You did the right thing. The 8 year old is your kid, not hers. 

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Ugh. I know how much it sucks to take care of a sick kid when I'm not feeling well. The 17 yr old is going to be out in the cold world soon enough. No reason to give her mommy responsibilities now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN