Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

newborn tips? and a little about me

Posted by   + Show Post

hi guys! my name is katie, im 30, and i have 2 children, a 5 week old and a 5 year old. though they both are the light of my life and define me as a person, theyre a handful! :) madison is my 5 week old, and at night, she cries and cries and we're not sure exactly why. we've switched formulas to soy, which only made her constipated. my son is taking to his new sister beautifully, he's always willing to help mommy, etc. but he struggles daily to focus as he suffers from ADD. his daddy and i dont want to put him on medication, as we have tried that and it didn't help. plus we are not advocates of medicating a 5 year old. im also looking for a support group for josh and maddie's father, as he may be suffering from postpardum depression. any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
christina259
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

We thought our ds might have acid reflux too. Still not sure if he did or not but I noticed he did seem to want to be upright. Lifting him so his head is slightly elevated helps. Same as when someone gets heartburn, it always feels better when your upright verses laying down.

christina259
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I wish I had some answers for your dh. I'm kind of clueless on that one. Hope he feels better. Has he tried to talk to a counselor? I agree with you  on not being too quick to put or keep your son on meds. I've read that a majority of cases of ADHD are misdiagnosed (not sure how true that is but its what I read) and the side affects sometimes aren't worth it but the question is which of those kids truly have ADHD.

christina259
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM

ok. I'm done writing a book now,lol.

Momwithagap
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Oh poor momma. Sorry. HUGS

not sure about either baby but have heard that changing diets for kids or people with ADD helps. I've heard there are certain foods that make it worse. 

Sorry, hope it gets better.

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Welcome to the group Katie! My DD used to cry a lot at night too. We thought it might be gas, I tried eliminating things from my diet, doing the "bicycle" with her legs, grip water.... but sometimes she just cried! The only thing that seemed to calm her down was when I took her to the washroom and turned on the faucet. LOL, it sounds kind of weird, but the sound of water really soothed her. In fact that's how I ended up putting her to sleep sometimes! We eventually switched from using the faucet to the washroom fan, and then after a while got a fan/air purifier for her room. Worked like a charm. I had a friend tell me, that the reason the sound is so soothing to her is because it reminds her of the womb. Something you might want to give a shot, you never know. Good luck!

christina259
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Quoting christina259:

Oh, I have been itching to share something I read for my own baby and it worked for me. My ds is now 4 months. I bought the book called " the wonder weeks". It helped me understand what ds was going through at that age and why he was crying....which in turn took away my own stress and guilt of not being able to calm him. then I read a sample on my kindle of the book called "The happiest baby on the block." I'm planning on purchasing it but haven't gotten around to it yet but within that sample was the cure I was looking for to help my fussy 3 month old.  I kind of wished I had found this book sooner. Its called the 5 S's. I'm not sure if I have them in the right order but here goes. Swaddle, Swing (in your arms I suppose), Shhh(saying shhhh over and over into their ear), sucking(something to suck on, pacifier, breast if your breastfeeding or bottle if your formula feeding,) and sound (as in white noise, like a vacuum cleaner in the distance for example) I have an app on my kindle called sleepy time, it has various sounds you can choose from including a vacuum cleaner. Its not a loud annoying vacuum cleaner sound, its kind of muted and its perfect. I put it next to ds while I'm calming him. According to the book you sometimes have to do all of these, not just one. Its recreating the way it seemed within your womb and its very comforting for them. I read that babies not only grow body wise and brain wise but also nuerologically and each time they are going to have a growth spurt in thier physcial or mental development they do go through a fussy phase.think of it as they are about to impress you with all they are getting ready to learn. It puts a happier light on why they are crying so much rather than worrying so much about whats wrong with them.As long as this is truly what it is and baby don't have gas or something else wrong. Since they are nuerologically immature its hard for them to deal with all this new stuff going on in this world outside of the womb. I don't know if it was coincidence that my baby seemed to get less fussy after I applied these techniques but he did. They also said in the book that the 5 S's technique, called "the cuddle cure", may take some time to perfect but for me it worked right away.Could have been coincidence but its worth a try. I wish i had those books for my first two kids. I always go searching for great books to help me through this parenting thing but you have to be careful what you pick. Some I don't agree with but some are right on the money :) and so helpful. I really love these two books

As I was putting my ds down to sleep I just realized I had left something out of the 5 S's method . Actually I think I substituted sound for one of them. The book says to: Swaddle

Stomach/side laying

Shushing (saying shhh or                                                                                               white noise)

Swinging or rythmic motion 

Sucking

Can try any one of them but for a really collicky baby may need to do all 5. The book says to add them on like layers to a cake and in the order mentioned above. It did leave out the swinging one in the example and I did to when I was calming my son and it still seemed to work. The book goes into detail about why and how it works and can probably explain it better than I can so if you want you can get the book. Hope this helps. ;)

Cynthje
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

My second cried non stop for hours, she was also a cluster feeder for a long time ( i breastfeed). Its hard but things will get better, i did all i could with her and she sitll cried, i remember  a night when my husband asked me to just pump so that he could give a bottle and i coulld relax for  A FEW  hours..we tried and failed!

things did get better though and she did great

Deanna155
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

For your newborn:  Have you tried Hyland's Colic Tablets?  They are disolvable, homeopathic tablets for babies who are very gassy.  They worked wonders for my last 2 kids!  They are generally sold in pharmacies or department stores (locally, here, we have them at Walmart and Rite Aid).

simple smile

ToYnyc
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM

maybe a nutritionist can recommend some changes in your son's diet that might help with the ADD. as for your newborn i would take her to the doctor just to make sure she doesnt have an ear infection

katiebug2929
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Guys thank you so much for all your helpful advice! I'm really thankful I found yall! Take care :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)