Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Fundraisers

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 27 Replies

My daughters have never sold anything for school fundraisers.  We just live around so many other kids, no family near by, and My husband owns his own business which he runs primarily from home and doesn't deal with people who would be in the market.

When your kids have school fundraisers, how do you handle them? Does anyone go door to door?  This year they are doing insulated tumblers which are cute, but not worth $10 a mug so people would need to be buying out of the goodness of their heart.  My daughters would really like to sell more than to my husband and I this year and I want to be supportive, but am unsure of how to help them.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Well we sell quite a bit but our situation is different than yours. 

We live by a few different family members and the ones we don't live by order online where applicable. My husband works in the oilfield and comes across tons of people. I am a SAHM but I have friends and acquaintances who buy from my kids. 

We don't do door to door. That's too dangerous now a days. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I feel like I am always hitting people up to buy stuff so most of the time it's just my husband and I on the order. My MIL will buy from our sons sometimes too.

Raeann11
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I hate fundraisers. Yes they are great and all that. But we never sell to anyone. I also hate asking people to buy. Family always has some reason not too and complain about prices. Friends have kids that have them too. We live a block from the school. Hubby works nights. So by the time the weekend comes. Everyone around us has been hit.

My girls always get upset. because they can never get the rewards they get for selling so many.

This year they did one that I really liked. All we had to do was sign we got it and read it and they got a penguin necklace.

anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM

We are in a situation similar to yours in that we don't live anywhere near family.  My husband's work has a "no solicitation" policy so he can't bring the forms to work anyway.  And to top it off, we have THREE kids all in the same school.  What we do is, if it is possible, we post something on FB or send our families an email (some fundraisers allow buying via the internet) telling them that the kids are selling from X website.  We tell them and say that we completely understand if they cannot buy anything, but we thought we would pass along the information.  Truthfully, we rarely buy anything because it seems that the school does fundraisers FOUR TIMES a year (once every quarter).  That is just too much.

supermomz25
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I bring it to work. I have dubbed myself the "official drug pusher" of my company.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:58 PM

We lived near both my parents and DH's.  But we rarely asked them to buy things from school fundraisers.  I would only ask any of them if I knew the items being sold were something that would interst them.  Heck, -WE- rarely bought anything from school fundraisers....I was not going to overspend on something I could get cheaper.  If a sale interested us, we would buy something.  If not, we just wouldn't.  We donated plenty of time and money to the kids' school on our own.

ooCherryo0
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I say ask family and friends. Even see if one of them could take it to work. The door to door thing is kinda scary unless you or DH is going with,

isaacsmommy68
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I buy, and my mother. Sometimes my grandparents. It depends what he is selling. I dont sell the $10 a roll wraping paper or the $20 containers of cookie dough. I dont sell anything I would not buy. His soccer does cool fundraisers, but the schools dont.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here!

Quoting mumsy2three:

I feel like I am always hitting people up to buy stuff so most of the time it's just my husband and I on the order. My MIL will buy from our sons sometimes too.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christina259
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I,m in the same boat u are when it comes to fundraisers. dh is military so we don't live near family. Her school says not to do door to door because its not safe. she only ever gets a few sales. sometimes dh and I will make up the difference she needs to get the 1rst or second "reward" they offer and so she can feel like she's helping out too. Even that depends on  our finances that month. For the most part we help out but my dd always gets these big goals in her head and she wants to reach this level in fundraising. Makes it really hard when you don't have that big family nearby to fall back on and you can't go door to door.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)