Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughters have never sold anything for school fundraisers.  We just live around so many other kids, no family near by, and My husband owns his own business which he runs primarily from home and doesn't deal with people who would be in the market.

When your kids have school fundraisers, how do you handle them? Does anyone go door to door?  This year they are doing insulated tumblers which are cute, but not worth $10 a mug so people would need to be buying out of the goodness of their heart.  My daughters would really like to sell more than to my husband and I this year and I want to be supportive, but am unsure of how to help them.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Replies (21-27):
SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I only ask friends and family if they're interested in helping support my kids' school.  I don't go door to door.

elijahXmom
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I will not let my son do these. Look at fine print only 20% go to the schools often and more angering for me, is that the money not even going the thier school. 

mommytycon
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM
We mostly ask my family depending on what it is. My 2 kids and my sil's 3 kids all go to the same school so that's 5 kids and we don't want anyone to have to feel like they have to order from all 5 kids. I just pick the ones they might be intersted in. Now my oldest is in cub scouts so far this year between the 2 we have had 5. It's just crazy oh and they get the first fundraiser sent home on the first day of school
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadyOphelia
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I hated those things!!  I liked it better when I was in school & we did the World's Finest Chocolate....because $1 is easy to ask for plus people like chocolate. Or the Reese's sales that had the regular candy bars for $1 (yes, I donated a lot to myself...I was hungry). Car washes, bake sales etc. But now it's all that expensive crap for cheap "prizes" where the schools get next to nothing. We used to donate to the school so we knew they would get 100% of the proceeds. Sometimes we would buy 1-2 things so they get the lame blinky ring that broke before they got home. I always told the kids "look, all this comes from Oriental Trading Company or something similar...you want it, I will just buy it for you"

GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

The prizes are what really tick me off.  It's nice to have an incentive but it makes the kids who didn't sell feel like they "lost."

Quoting LadyOphelia:

I hated those things!!  I liked it better when I was in school & we did the World's Finest Chocolate....because $1 is easy to ask for plus people like chocolate. Or the Reese's sales that had the regular candy bars for $1 (yes, I donated a lot to myself...I was hungry). Car washes, bake sales etc. But now it's all that expensive crap for cheap "prizes" where the schools get next to nothing. We used to donate to the school so we knew they would get 100% of the proceeds. Sometimes we would buy 1-2 things so they get the lame blinky ring that broke before they got home. I always told the kids "look, all this comes from Oriental Trading Company or something similar...you want it, I will just buy it for you"

ToYnyc
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM

i havent seen those types of fundraisers in a long time but when i was a kid my mom took the catalog and order sheet to her job

SwtSnowflake2
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM
We don't do them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)