Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What Age Did You Or Would You Stop Having Kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

My only child is almost 18. I just turned 36, my husband just turned 44. His daughter is 26, his son is 22. We've been married a little over 2 years. Lately we've had people asking if we're going to have a baby together. At first I was like, "No, absolutely not." But lately I've been feeling like maybe we should. There was a time when I was really wanting a little girl. Now, that urge is coming back.

The thing is, my husband feels as if we're too old. His parents were in their early 40's when they had him, and his mom died while he was still a baby, his dad died when he was in his early twenties. He says he wouldn't want to put his child through that. 

I would never intentionally get pregnant without his approval, but if I did by some chance get pregnant, I would be really happy. I think once he got used to the idea, he would be too.

What do ya'll think? Are we too old?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Replies (51-60):
jdsmell7
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM

39 or 40 My duaught is almost 2 1/2 it took us 8yrs to have her & I want 1 more I'm 38 so I've been begging my hubby !

justahousewife
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
With my grounded lifestyle I've never much cared to be kid free so I don't have a cut off age. I'd love a few more but I am waiting until the lo is in 1st before going again. SO is older but loves the idea of starting over. We're both homebodies so watching babies grow is welcomed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frstldyhmsch
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Had my last one at 28. we have 3 kiddos 12, 8 & 5. Taking precautions are our claim to fame, but if I "somehow" do get preggers, I would adore my little accident :) My cut off was not my age so much as it was the number of kids I had....These buggers are expensive! lol

Through the eyes of a "Teacher Momma " typing

http://www.branyact.blogspot.com/  Let's talk homeschool  

momma060809
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

NO, I DON'T BELIEVE YOU'RE TOO OLD!! I HAD MY FIRST WHEN I TURNED 30,MY SECOND AT 34, MY FIRST SET OF TWINS AT 35, MY SECOND SET OF TWINS AT 36..I ONLY STOPPED BECAUSE THE DOCTOR TOLD ME I MIGHT HAVE TRIPLETS WITH MY NEXT PREGNANCY

Graidyn
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my last one at 24 and I was done. I never wanted anymore than the ones I have. It was solved anyway because I can't have anymore children, so I would have been done anyway. Good thing I had planned on it, lol. 

But I don't think you're too old, no. We have friends the same age as you that are just having thier first. It's what feels right for YOU and your SO, not anyone else.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

DH is 40 and I'll be 38 in 2 months and it's not off the table for us to have a second. I had our first when I was 33. My mom was 32 when she had my and my grandma was 29 when she had my mom, and my mom was her middle child, so she had another into her 30s, which was more rare than now. I would never have thought this is how it would have been 10 years ago, but oh well, life is not predictable! that's not a bad thing ;)

jddragonfly
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Done here at 34, however my hubby was 49 with our first and 51 with our second.  Age is just a number, it's how you feel inside.  If you feel old, then you are!  Everybody ages at different rates too.  I've seen 50 year olds that seem older than 80 year olds.  

GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

A couple is too old for kids when 1.one or both feel mentally or physically too old, or 2.their body is no longer fertile =)

Raising a child together is a special experience, maybe adopting a toddler might work for you?

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM

30 years old was my deadline to have all the kids I was going to have.  I ended up shutting down the baby factory at 28 when I realized I couldn't handle another kid within 2 years of my second and last child.  My husband is 10 years older than me so that was a-okay with him.

My sister on the other hand in 33 and hasn't gotten started yet.  I think her deadline is 40, but that'd really be pushing it. 

CaileighsMom608
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I had my 1st son a few days before my 16th birthday my 2nd son a few days after my 19th birthday and my daughter at age 27.  I am currently 31.  The DH and I are both currently college students.  

I would love to be pregnant one last time BUT starting all over and always having to find a baby sitter to go anywhere would  be hard.  I am reading along with you to find an answer myself.

My mom is 30 years older than I am and the gap is TOO much sometimes.  She was born in 1952 and thinks completely differently than I do so I am worried that I as age I wouldnt as good of mother to the new baby  as I was when I was younger.  Also the risk factors for all the genetic defects linger in my head.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)