Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What Age Did You Or Would You Stop Having Kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

My only child is almost 18. I just turned 36, my husband just turned 44. His daughter is 26, his son is 22. We've been married a little over 2 years. Lately we've had people asking if we're going to have a baby together. At first I was like, "No, absolutely not." But lately I've been feeling like maybe we should. There was a time when I was really wanting a little girl. Now, that urge is coming back.

The thing is, my husband feels as if we're too old. His parents were in their early 40's when they had him, and his mom died while he was still a baby, his dad died when he was in his early twenties. He says he wouldn't want to put his child through that. 

I would never intentionally get pregnant without his approval, but if I did by some chance get pregnant, I would be really happy. I think once he got used to the idea, he would be too.

What do ya'll think? Are we too old?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Replies (61-70):
kbeeck
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I think your husband has a good point considering his parents died young, hopefully it's not genetic. You could find yourself raising a baby by yourself. You also have to look at down syndrome that rises as you get older and other birth defects. Would you be okay with that?  Just a lot to consider when you get older and starting over with a baby.

storkradio193
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you are too old.  I had my first at 33 and second at 35.  I have many friends who have had kids in their late 30's to early 40's.  It is normal in my peer group.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Sarlinda
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I had our last one at 24. I had my tubes tied. I think it should be a choice the both of you make to have another child.

SassyLaLa85
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

26 years old

mjackson77
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I had my one and only at 21. No more for me. 

Cate1129
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My DH and I were married 10 years before we had our 1st. We wanted to enjoy each other for awhile before we had kids. I'm 35 and I think we may try for a girl next year. I think they if its what you both want do it. Women our age and older have healthy babies!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

had our 1 and only baby when i was 27 & DH was 30. for me, i think those women who have babies at 60+ are nuts. that's too old.

I'm an atheistic Humanist.
I love being opinionated about a lot of things.
SAHM of one teen DD. Married since 1989.
Awarenesses I follow: Epilepsy & Down Syndrome.
I am: Lactose & Alcohol intolerant.
KG34
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I almost got essure a few years ago. I'm now glad I didn't. I think if I don't have another one, I will end up regretting it later.

I'm sorry about your miscarriage. I've never gone through that, but I have close friends who have. 

Is a tubal not reversable? Even if it's not, you never know. I knew a woman who got pregnant 9 years after hers.

Quoting BlsdWithTwOKids:

I am thirty,I have an 8 year old son and a 6 year old daughter,I also have one angel baby I lost due to a miscarriage..I would absalutely LOVE to have another child but for a dumb reason I made of getting a tubal,I was bribed,I cannot have anymore children,I torture myself by watching A Baby Story & I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant secretly hoping I was on the show,when I see a Pregnant Lady,Newborn Baby I get sad sometimes...I wish I could just feel a baby kicking at least one more time,I wish I would have taken more pregnancy/newborn/baby photos of my Daughter,I miss being pregnant...

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I always said I would only have one and it had to be done before I was 30 and I stuck to my word.  I had my one and only at 28.  I also got remarried in 2011 and everyone was asking if we would try for a baby of our own ... Errr NO ! If I did get pregnant by accident I don't think I'd have the heart not to go through with the pregnancy but it would not be a happy thing for me either also at 37 combined with the complications I had with my first pregnancy, I'd have to be followed closely by my OBGYN for the whole pregnancy.   I understand your husband's way of thinking ; I have a friend who's parents had him in their early 40s and he lost his dad when he was in his early 30s - his mom is now too old to even enjoy her "grand-motherhood".  It's sad

KG34
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I could totally deal with all of that. And I definately want to breastfeed. I only breastfed my son for a month, and I wish I would've gone longer.

Quoting January1964:

You are in no way, shape, or form too old. Think hard about it. About starting over, all the work, the sleepless nights, the not being able to go out, the exhaustion, the diapering, the breastfeeding (if you so choose) and if you are sure, go for it! There is no "should." These people who ask are just curious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)