Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Any ferret owners? Lol

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM
  • 46 Replies
My daughters bday is on the 5th and dh on a whim decides to buy her a ferret. Mind you, we know nOthing about them so she's totally unprepared. The ferret has been here a few hours and Shes ready to send her (ferret) back to the pet shop. I told him a long time ago she's not ready but here it is...100 something dollar pet with a $80 dollar cage....

Also a big thank you to everyone offering tips! Its been a help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MRS.SONMYCHEST
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Here she is cute as a button. Did I mention she smells like a horse.... Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KG34
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

My ex loved ferrets. I never really cared for them. They are kind of cute, but they stink. And unless they are trained really well from the start, they will bite.

christineT79
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I've heard they are like little bandits. They will steal things around your house & hide them. A lot of people really like them. They do stink, I heard that the vet can do some kind of surgery to remove their scent glands & you can bathe them. Why does she want to send her back to the pet shop?

MRS.SONMYCHEST
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM
She came with papers and it reads "descented".... So maybe that what your mentioning. My daughter has been bitten a few times so now she's afraid and she bathed her. I wish he wouldve listened to me and waited.

Quoting christineT79:

I've heard they are like little bandits. They will steal things around your house & hide them. A lot of people really like them. They do stink, I heard that the vet can do some kind of surgery to remove their scent glands & you can bathe them. Why does she want to send her back to the pet shop?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SassyLeigh
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM

They have spray that you can buy for them, like ferret perfume! Also bathing them pretty frequently will help. Clean their cage often. They are really fun and entertaining. I had several when i was younger. 

MRS.SONMYCHEST
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Your right... She's 5 months. She bit my husband and daughter and now they are thinking of returning her.

Quoting KG34:

My ex loved ferrets. I never really cared for them. They are kind of cute, but they stink. And unless they are trained really well from the start, they will bite.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MRS.SONMYCHEST
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Perfume? Really? I'll tell dh. Any pointers would be great.... She's 5 months and has been her for only a few hours.

Quoting SassyLeigh:

They have spray that you can buy for them, like ferret perfume! Also bathing them pretty frequently will help. Clean their cage often. They are really fun and entertaining. I had several when i was younger. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

She came with papers and it reads "descented".... So maybe that what your mentioning. My daughter has been bitten a few times so now she's afraid and she bathed her. I wish he wouldve listened to me and waited.

Quoting christineT79:

Yeah, I think that's what they call it. I'm pretty sure you can train them. Mabey google how to train a ferrett. They also need vaccines, just so ya know.

MRS.SONMYCHEST
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I'm sure dh had no idea what he was doing. Vaccines? OMG

Quoting christineT79:

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

Quoting christineT79:

Yeah, I think that's what they call it. I'm pretty sure you can train them. Mabey google how to train a ferrett. They also need vaccines, just so ya know.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

I'm sure dh had no idea what he was doing. Vaccines? OMG

Quoting christineT79:

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

Quoting christineT79:

Yeah, I'm a vet tech. I only worked briefly for a vet that saw ferretts & I remember vaccinating them for rabies & mabey distemper. After that I mainly worked with dog's & cat's for the past 15 years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)