Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms
My daughters bday is on the 5th and dh on a whim decides to buy her a ferret. Mind you, we know nOthing about them so she's totally unprepared. The ferret has been here a few hours and Shes ready to send her (ferret) back to the pet shop. I told him a long time ago she's not ready but here it is...100 something dollar pet with a $80 dollar cage....

Also a big thank you to everyone offering tips! Its been a help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Replies (41-46):
LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM

don't bath her all the time. only once a month if that. just make sure the cage is clean. i use shavings from walmart, it smells good and keeps the poop and pee smell down.

i have never gotten my girls any shots. theyre not outside running around to be bitten or exposed to an animal with rabies. 

anything safe for a kitten is fine for a ferret.

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

when she first came home from the pet shop the smell was very strong but the shampoo my daughter is using helps. It's really not too bad.

Quoting SwtSnowflake2:

DH loves ferrets. I refuse bc they smell so bad!! Some states they are illegal.

MRS.SONMYCHEST
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
The first night she was hear dh and daughter were ready to take her back. I talked them out of it. they no longer want to. She behaved better on her second day. The nipping isn't bad from what I've seen. Today i took her out for little while but when it was time to put her back she became fussy. Nipped a few times but it was nothing... It was more like a protest than trying to hurt.

Quoting kjtenney:

They are only required a rabies shot.... Please I cant express it enough!!!! Dont bath her a lot, the more you bath her... The more her oil gland will produce that smell! Yes it is STATE law for the breeders to descent & fix them befor they are sold! Shes still a baby, they chew... Just like anything else :) Its scary when she nips you, but shes a baby. Thats what baby animals do lol. Shes not going to hurt you, She will out grow it! I promise!!!! Im on my 2nd ferret now, his name is Junior :)

Quoting kjtenney:

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

I'm sure dh had no idea what he was doing. Vaccines? OMG

Quoting christineT79:

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

She came with papers and it reads "descented".... So maybe that what your mentioning. My daughter has been bitten a few times so now she's afraid and she bathed her. I wish he wouldve listened to me and waited.

Quoting christineT79:

I've heard they are like little bandits. They will steal things around your house & hide them. A lot of people really like them. They do stink, I heard that the vet can do some kind of surgery to remove their scent glands & you can bathe them. Why does she want to send her back to the pet shop?

Yeah, I think that's what they call it. I'm pretty sure you can train them. Mabey google how to train a ferrett. They also need vaccines, just so ya know.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MRS.SONMYCHEST
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM
So once a month? thats doable. How often do you clean the cage that houses one ferret. I'm thinking every other day....

Quoting LoveMyLos:

don't bath her all the time. only once a month if that. just make sure the cage is clean. i use shavings from walmart, it smells good and keeps the poop and pee smell down.

i have never gotten my girls any shots. theyre not outside running around to be bitten or exposed to an animal with rabies. 

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

when she first came home from the pet shop the smell was very strong but the shampoo my daughter is using helps. It's really not too bad.

Quoting SwtSnowflake2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MRS.SONMYCHEST
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM
The first day she was afraid of the biting. Shes past that and is happy she didn't return her. Are yours vaccinated?

Quoting LoveMyLos:

why is she ready to send her back?

i have 3

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Well i have shavngs on the bottom of my cage. They have a huge 6 ft tall ferret mansion. I clean it 2-3 times a week. But theres alot of shavings and three ferts in there. Every other sounds good with one, unless it doesnt potty alot. They pee and poop at the same everytime they wake up.

My girls are not vaxed. U can, its up to you. My cats are vaxed, and the ferrets dont go outside enough where they would be exposed.
Usually anythiny you do with a cat, u do with ferrets, but its up to you.

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

So once a month? thats doable. How often do you clean the cage that houses one ferret. I'm thinking every other day....

Quoting LoveMyLos:

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

Quoting SwtSnowflake2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MRS.SONMYCHEST
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Your not the first one to say the vaccines aren't really necessary unless they will be exposed. Makes sense. any tips on the biting? I've heard of a spray bit I would prefer for her not to bite from being trained. I read tapping the nose makes it worse. thanks very much for the info.

Quoting LoveMyLos:

Well i have shavngs on the bottom of my cage. They have a huge 6 ft tall ferret mansion. I clean it 2-3 times a week. But theres alot of shavings and three ferts in there. Every other sounds good with one, unless it doesnt potty alot. They pee and poop at the same everytime they wake up.

My girls are not vaxed. U can, its up to you. My cats are vaxed, and the ferrets dont go outside enough where they would be exposed.

Usually anythiny you do with a cat, u do with ferrets, but its up to you.

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

Quoting LoveMyLos:

Quoting MRS.SONMYCHEST:

Quoting SwtSnowflake2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN