Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Embarrassed to be a Nanny

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM
  • 150 Replies
3 moms liked this
I lost my job about two years ago, never would I have thought that getting a ticket for driving with a suspended license would make me a felon! (Went to court and paid fines)(used a public defender) so I lost my teaching credential. I was a preschool teacher for 10 years and then my supervisor took me out of class one day and that was it :( I thought I would be able to fix it an get my job back, they even held my position as I tried to do it. Last summer I needed xtra income so I joined a nanny website. I was surprised to see that I could make the same or more than I was making as a teacher. So in October I decided to stick with it, I love kids and it was less work (paperwork, kids) for the same pay. I was happy and excited. But it seems that everyone I talk to looks at me funny when I tell them I'm not in he classroom anymore. My family, my peers seem to look at me differently. I don't think I have wasted my education. I still teach at work but I focus on one child. My mom keeps asking me if I'm looking for a job. It's frustrating. Also, I think I'm letting them get to me because I was fine when I started but now I feel more ackward (I am Hispanic, born and raised in California to immigrant parents) at the park with my boy. I feel like a stereotype when I see the other (Mexican) nannies speaking Spanish an caring for Caucasian children. I didn't feel this way before. I don't personally feel like I am settling for less. I work 4 days for more $ that I made working 40-50 hrs as a teacher. The couple I work for is great, actually all of the families I've nannied for have been great, respectful and have treated me like a co-parent and not like an employee. Idk. I'm just ranting now :) I just don't see what the big deal is and they're messing with my head.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyof2114
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM
9 moms liked this
Don't let people get to you.
ToYnyc
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

There is no shame in working hold your head high, maybe you feel bad because you lost a job you love.

mushmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM
4 moms liked this
You love it amd make good money. What's the issue?
diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ToYnyc:

There is no shame in working hold your head high, maybe you feel bad because you lost a job you love.

TTC2Long
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM
5 moms liked this
Right! Actually, sounds like a smart move, imo. Brush it off. :)

Quoting mushmom:

You love it amd make good money. What's the issue?
GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM
37 moms liked this

That would be difficult... My daughter went to a private school and her friends Mom owned a cleaning business.  She cleaned our house a couple times when I hospitalized, and when I had bad morning sickness.  She is Mexican and commented once that she's considered another line of work because of the sterotype.

The funny thing is, here I was feeling all self consious because I am a SAHM and she owns her own business!  I thought she would think I was inferior. And she has 3 kids she puts through private school, so I told her to go ahead and own that stereotype, she makes good money! 

We live in TX and people complain all the time about Mexicans taking the good landscaping jobs.  THAT's BECAUSE THEY GO OUT AND FIND BUSINESS WHILE THE WHITE PEOPLE JUST GET UNEMPLOYMENT. 

If people think you fit into a racial streotype of being hardworking, family orientented, and great with kids, thank them, and tell them "Damn right, thats because I'm Mexican and proud of it!"

ToYnyc
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

what about starting your own childcare business from home? lots of moms do this, i think you're allowed to have 3 if you dont have an assistant, if you make good money taking care of one imagine how much you would make if you had 3

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this

If you like your job and are able to pay your bills, I'd say don't worry about them. 

However I hope you are able to provide health care and retirement for yourself. That's one thing a "real" teaching job would have done. 

Mom2Troy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM
4 moms liked this

While it is easier said than done, don't let others influence Your decisions.  It sounds like you were happy with your new job, until others added in their 2 cents.  You make an honest living to provide for yourself, you are still doing what you love to do (teaching children) and it makes sense (less paperwork/kids for the same amount of money).  Sounds like you are thinking smarter and not harder!  I quit a job and went to another company taking a 50% paycut.  A lot of people had negative things to say, but what they didn't realize was that at my old job I was so stressed I was suffering from migraines and my hair was falling out- literally.  To me and my family, the money was not worth the stress so I did what was best for me.  Good Luck and keep your head up!!!

lovingmommywife
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Quoting ToYnyc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)