Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know anyone who had gastric bypass surgery?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 174 Replies
2 moms liked this

The reason I'm asking is because one of my best friends had gastric bypass a few years ago & went kind of crazy. I just wanted to see if anyone knew anyone who had the surgery, lost a ton of weight & then went crazy in anyway.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My neighbor had the Lap-Band done.  She lost about 200 pounds.  She looks great.  She did not go crazy though.

Crashmonster1
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM
3 moms liked this

I had the bypass I cant say I went crazy I just went to the healthy side running and exercise is a constant in my life now

carakitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

What do you mean by "crazy"? I know two people who had the procedure done and they seem fine mentally. One has been able to maintain a healthy weight, the other is having more trouble with it but that is due to other co-existing medical conditions rather than short comings of the surgery.

Sunnydayhere
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM
8 moms liked this

I know two. Neither went crazy. One was crazy already, the surgery had nothing to do with it. ;)

christineT79
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM

My friend went kind of crazy by leaving her bf & kids to go out & party. She's in her mid 30's & it's like she's trying to re-live her teen & early 20 years. She litterally left her 3 year old baby with his father & didnt return for months so she could sleep around & party. She totally dropped me as a friend eventhough I was the one there for her when we were young because she didnt have many friends. I've seen this happen to a few other women & I was just curious if this happens a lot. She not only ditched me as a friend but I found out from mutual friends that she was talking a lot of crap about me behind my back, telling everyone about some tough times I had in my life when I was very sick. I became really depressed at a time in my life when I was diagnosed with a brain tumor & needed major surgery. I was having really bad seizures & was on a lot of medication that affected my mental state. The meds made me really depressed & she is the only one I confided in about my struggles. I found out that she was telling a lot of mutual friends about very personal things that I was going through. We are no longer friends because of that but I still can't help but think about all that has happened.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I know a few people who have had it.  The one girl gained it all back, but none of the people that I know acted any differently afterwards.

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM
7 moms liked this

I know two people personally who have had the surgery. And I'm a post-op nurse and I've taken care of several gastric bypass patients. None of them had any mental issues that arose after the surgery. It sounds like your friend had some stuff going on before she even had the surgery. 

christineT79
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

I know two people personally who have had the surgery. And I'm a post-op nurse and I've taken care of several gastric bypass patients. None of them had any mental issues that arose after the surgery. It sounds like your friend had some stuff going on before she even had the surgery. 

Now that I look back on it I can see that she didnt have any confidence when we were young (we met in highschool). Now that she lost a lot of weight (200 pounds plus) I think she has some kind of new found confidence & went off the deep end with it. It made me really sad for her baby because she left him in a very unsafe situation just because she wanted to party.

tnmommy5
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
My cousin had it done several years ago and she didn't go crazy at all. However her dh went crazy with jealousy worrying about attention she might get from other men.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM
12 moms liked this
I had it, but I was always crazy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)