Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I started Ulpan (Hebrew language classes) - PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM
  • 0 Replies

My head is SPINNING!!!

I started Ulpan this past Sunday.  It is an INTENSE Hebrew language class for adults.  Class is 5 hours per day, 5 days per week, for 5 months.  OY!

I am on such a huge information-overload right now.  The first half of class is spent entirely oral.  With the teacher rapidly teaching new words, phrases, questions and how to answer the questions.  Going back-and-forth between teacher and students.    I can't even start to guess how many new words have been thrown at me in just three half-classes!
The second half of class is spent writing.  Because the class is very diverse -- we are starting with the VERY basics -- learning the AlephBet in both block/book writing and script.  This half of class is INSANELY boring for me right now since I have been able to READ/write Hebrew for a long time -- I just don't understand most of what I read/write.  :-)  But I can't 'veg out' or study the stuff from the first half of the calss - because even the writing-half of class is very interactive - after every few letters taught, the teacher writes words on the board or hands out papers and calls on different students to read them - so I have to pay attention...and review is always good, I suppose -- plus this slow-going stuff won't last forever (my DH started Ulpan 3 months ago - so I know how crazy everything will get soon).

From what everyone I know tells me - I got VERY lucky.  There are 22 or so students in my class (some people have already dropped out, others have just shown up....won't know the actual number for a few weeks, and even then it will probably change).  About HALF of my class are anglos/English speakers - the other half are Russian.  One of the biggest problems DH and my friends here in town have all had with Ulpan is that there were very few English speakers in the class and the teacher would forget to do and English translation and only do Russian translations, therefore leaving the anglos in the dark....even if they would ask, they might not get an answer.  So - since we are half the class...the teacher(s) have been really good about translating into both languages (we have one teacher 4 days per week and a different one one day per week).

Anyway - that's my insane life right now....just wanted to share. 

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)