Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Too young to start wearing deodorant?

Posted by   + Show Post

Maybe this is weird, IDK, I'm winging it here! Quick background, a few days ago my neices and nephews were over and I went in my daughters room, it smelled horrible, thought it was one of them, 2 of them are under 4. Today my daughter comes home from school and I pass her several times as she is doing homework at the table and I smell that same smell, sorry I have to say smelled like stinky ass.  I know shes only 6, she plays hard at school, but the smell is not normal I played outside smell it's like body oder, sweat and I am not sure.....  My husband and I decided to give her deoderant and next shopping trip a light body spray to use before school. Children are cruel this day and age, we don't want kids to start saying mean things to her. Are we wrong for starting this early? Has anyone else done this?........ Are we over reacting?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I agree pediatrician. Cut out meat and dairy that aren't organic because of the hormones.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Once they start with that smell they need to wear deodorant. Both my girls needed it about 7
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM

That's around the age we started my son on deodorant. He smells like raw onions, poor boy. 

WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM

My daughter is 8, and over the summer I noticed that her armpits reeked when she started to sweat, even if she showered that day. I didn't want her to feel embarrassed so I took her to the drug store and let her pick out her first stick of deoderant.  She also wears a light scented body mist that she got for Christmas. She loves it.  She says wearing the scenty stuff makes her feel more grown up.

christineT79
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I have a cousin on my hubbys side that had to start deotorant with her son when he was around that age. She said he smelled like bo or onions. If it were my kid I'd probly just ask the pedi first to make sure that it's safe to use deotorant & go from there. I would also just make sure she was bathing properly & not just playing in the tub, make sure to stress what area's of the body to really scrub. As far as deotorants mabey try the teen spirit type because I think they are lower in whatever chemicals are in deotorant or try a natural type or baby powder. I'm sure this stuff happens more often than you think. I think in some cases it could also be the things you eat. I think people who eat more whole foods & not over processed stuff have less overall odor. Just a thought.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM

If she has body odor already....then it is not too early to start using deodorant.

kali_mom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I was 8 1/2 when I started using deodorant and right before my 9 th birthday I started my monthly.. Ughhh.. I would encourage you to speak with her pediatrician.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I agree pediatrician. Cut out meat and dairy that aren't organic because of the hormones.

Yeah, I heard that the hormones in the meat and dairy were the reason why children are developing faster than ever before. I began my menstruation at one month shy of ten years old (I was born in 1976, so this happened in 198-) and my parents freaked out, like I wanted a period at that age. Now, it seems like it was normal for girls to have that going on at nine and ten.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM
The deodorant won't hurt anything, but make sure she's wiping good enough so as to not leave stuff hanging around to stink her up.
bizkit_fanky
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:32 AM

My dd is 8 and wears deodorant

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN