Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Too young to start wearing deodorant?

Posted by   + Show Post

Maybe this is weird, IDK, I'm winging it here! Quick background, a few days ago my neices and nephews were over and I went in my daughters room, it smelled horrible, thought it was one of them, 2 of them are under 4. Today my daughter comes home from school and I pass her several times as she is doing homework at the table and I smell that same smell, sorry I have to say smelled like stinky ass.  I know shes only 6, she plays hard at school, but the smell is not normal I played outside smell it's like body oder, sweat and I am not sure.....  My husband and I decided to give her deoderant and next shopping trip a light body spray to use before school. Children are cruel this day and age, we don't want kids to start saying mean things to her. Are we wrong for starting this early? Has anyone else done this?........ Are we over reacting?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
Misha1204
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Lol @stinky ass.
My dd started wearing it when she was 4½. She's 8, now & I'm still not completely adjusted. Every child is different. I use Dove (for both of us). Very mild, lasts long & good for her skin (she has eczema & very sensitive skin).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I agree with those who suggested seeing her pediatrician first.

My dd and oldest son were both 10 when they needed to use deodorant.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM
I agree.

Quoting ToYnyc:

i would take her to a pediatrician, its not normal for a 6 year old to have an odor that regular bathing wouldnt control, if shes going through early puberty it can be stopped.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrsary
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM
My daughter started wearing deodorant at 6. She can go some days w out it, but before she started using it, she was very musty!
Thunderbug75
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I have a friend who has a 5 yr old girl and she has her wearing deodorant.  Same situation as you.  Her daughter just smelled.  I am not sure if she ever consulted her doctor. 

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM

It's called Precocious Puberty. They stop it because if they start super early it throws off the timing of menopause and whatever later in life.

Quoting alimorgan:

Wow really? that early? if that is the case that would explain the attitude LOL!  Is her daughter going to take some sort of medication for this, is that how they stop it?

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

usually when they develope body odor it means puberty is setting in.  i would speak with her pediatrician.  my friends DD is 5 and started and she took her dr in, and sure enough she is starting puberty, so they are stopping it... i can find out more if you need... 

SassyLaLa85
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I let my daughter pick out her own deodorant. She was having the same issue and she was all excited to be doing something that mommy does.

Good Luck.

notquite2sets
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
My daughter was about 5-6. Took her to Dr. Dr told me to put mitchium on her. no problems since.
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I know I was 11 when I started.

alimorgan
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

thank you so much for the information i really appreciated it! you all have been really great with the info! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN