Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Too young to start wearing deodorant?

Posted by   + Show Post

Maybe this is weird, IDK, I'm winging it here! Quick background, a few days ago my neices and nephews were over and I went in my daughters room, it smelled horrible, thought it was one of them, 2 of them are under 4. Today my daughter comes home from school and I pass her several times as she is doing homework at the table and I smell that same smell, sorry I have to say smelled like stinky ass.  I know shes only 6, she plays hard at school, but the smell is not normal I played outside smell it's like body oder, sweat and I am not sure.....  My husband and I decided to give her deoderant and next shopping trip a light body spray to use before school. Children are cruel this day and age, we don't want kids to start saying mean things to her. Are we wrong for starting this early? Has anyone else done this?........ Are we over reacting?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Replies (31-35):
Mazie0723
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM
My 7 yr old niece has been wearing deodorant for about a year. They think she is hitting puberty early. Her bone age is 9. Which apparently makes her hormones think she's 9 not 7 if that makes sense.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yroder2003
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM

my dd had to start wearing deoderant at 5, she gets hot fast just like her dad, so doesn't take much for her to start to sweat. i never made it embarrassing for her, and she's never been bothered by wearing it, she sees me put it on so it's normal to her. i never took her to the doc about it, wearing deoderant early didn't bother me. now had she started getting boobs shortly after starting to wear deoderant, yes i would of taken her to the doc.

Ryansmom2004
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Does your daughter bathe/shower herself? If so she might not be getting everything clean. My step-daughter is an adult and she smells the same way, even after taking a shower (She has developmental delays). I know it's because she doesn't really know how to clean herself good enough. Try working with her first to make sure she is scrubbing everything. That being said, my 8 year-old son took a shower and the next evening he smelled like BO so I got him anti-persprant/deodorant (Make sure it's the combo)

alimorgan
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

yeah she knows how to bath herself, we still come in and monitor when she washes her body and my husband or myself wash and condition her hair because it's so long. I actually talk to her a lot about washing everything and try and explain to her at her level what happens if she doesn't. She spends a lot of time in the bath so shes really clean. 

queen_k0302
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Baking soda bath. My ds is 10 and gets one every 4 days. Talk to her pediatrician. Sounds like puberty.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)