Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How would you handle this

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 46 Replies

I'm not sure how to deal with this little issue.  I have a friend that every time I turn around is making comments about how small my house is.  We have decided to start TTC #4. Instead of being happy for us she said, "don't you think you need a bigger house before you do that."  She is constantly talking about how small my house is.  I think we have a cozy house. It is 3 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms about 1100sq.  We are going to convert the garage this spring into a den.  I have never thought of my house as small and I think just because she is looking for a 3000sq house doesn't mean I have to. My oldest daughter doesn't live with us. Although she is here every single day.  UGH... She feels that each kid needs to have their own room and my husband and I don't feel that way. Our kids enjoy being together. I guess we just have a different way of looking at things. Am I wrong for feeling like she is being rude?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I understand. I've been accused of neglecting my kids because there's 4 of us in a 960 sq foot home. If they persist I usually just ask "well are you going to buy me one?" And they shut up.
I know someone who is pregnant with her 4th and complaining her 2000 sq foot home is too small. Oh cry me a river.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM
She would really have a problem with the single wide trailer I live in. My 3 sons share a room. They enjoy each other and there's no arguments ever about any of them wishing for their own room. I think that is rude, no everyone wants mansions where everyone is far away from each other. (although if I had the money I wouldn't mind a house lol)
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I think the best thing to do is stop mentioning ttc at anytime to her as well as redirecting the conversation if any remark about your house comes up. She isn't being rude, she's dropped down to judgemental and I, myself , would reconsider how important her friendship is to you.
CotterpinDoozer
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

That was rude of her. I agree next time say "Well, if you're offering to buy, I'll start looking."

AMMOWIFE
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I understand. I've been accused of neglecting my kids because there's 4 of us in a 960 sq foot home. If they persist I usually just ask "well are you going to buy me one?" And they shut up.
I know someone who is pregnant with her 4th and complaining her 2000 sq foot home is too small. Oh cry me a river.

I just don't get it.  I love my house.  We are a happy family and it works for us. I have no reason to want to clean a bigger house. She is looking for a 3000sq ft house and her dad paid off her mortgage years ago. It is just so frustrating.

dallascowboys82
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, that's pretty rude. Next time she complains and ask when your going to move? Tell her she can buy you a bigger house and cover the all the payments as well since she seems to offer it.
AMMOWIFE
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I think the best thing to do is stop mentioning ttc at anytime to her as well as redirecting the conversation if any remark about your house comes up. She isn't being rude, she's dropped down to judgemental and I, myself , would reconsider how important her friendship is to you.

She brings it up with anything we talk about.  My husband was joking about getting me a puppy and she said well he needs to buy you a bigger house.  I just feel like I am NOT defined by my house or car or any other material things.

tanper29
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM
My kids each share a room. The boys r in one room and the girls in another. They would sometimes complain about sharing. We rented a house and each kid had their own room. Funny thing i would find both boys in one room and both girls in one room. Lol or all 4 in one room. They would make like a little camp out.
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM
You aren't, but you are by the company you keep. I'm sorry, I'd dump her.

Quoting AMMOWIFE:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

She brings it up with anything we talk about.  My husband was joking about getting me a puppy and she said well he needs to buy you a bigger house.  I just feel like I am NOT defined by my house or car or any other material things.

anotherandree
by Inga on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

It is pretty rude of her.  I would start setting boundaries and sounding like a broken record doing it.  "We really like the size of our house (think it is cozy, have no intention of getting another one), and I would appreciate it if you would stop commenting on the size of our house.  It makes me feel uncomfortable."  Don't be snotty, but set that boundary.  Pretty soon her comments are going to really piss you off and then your friendship will be kaput.  Better to head it off at the pass!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)