Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

My son wants to share

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 49 Replies
4 moms liked this

His journal for the day.  It is the first time he has used cursive other than to do his cursive workbook.  He wrote the first 2 words then decided to switch to cursive.  I'm so proud of him!  And he's so proud of himself I had to share.  I had to help him with the capitals because he only knows lowercase at this point but he did the lowercase by himself!

He's in kindergarten btw.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christineT79
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:35 PM

OMG. That's amazing. I don't know what age kids do things since I'm a FTM of a 5 month old baby but Kindergarden seems early for writing & cursive right? I remember learning cursive in 2nd grade.

bizkit_fanky
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Great job

dallascowboys82
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM
So cute!! My dd is in the fourth grade and they don't teach cursive
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie01
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM

He has very nice handwriting!! My daughter hasn't started using cursive yet. Does your son attend a school or do you homeschool??

mama.samm.2.3
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Thats awesome! Here they don't teach cursive until 2nd grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Yes it is early.  He is homeschooled through a charter school.  I had no plans to teach it until closer to 3rd grade and was dreading dealing with it since I hate cursive!  But he saw my niece writing in cursive and asked me if he could learn.  I said he could but he had to remind me to get a book the next time he was at the school library.  I completely expected him to forget.

2 weeks later we are at school (there were no workshops and we didn't have to meet with our mentor until then) and right after show and tell ends the librarian comes and finds me with him in tow asking me which of the cursive books I thought would work for him.  I chose one and he was thrilled.  I didn't expect it to last since he doesn't like writing.

But obviously I was wrong lol.  He loves it!  And it has helped him so much.  I've started reading about cursive and how it's great for brain development, is easier to learn, and makes kids better readers, writers, spellers, etc.  I've since decided dd is going to start with cursive.  But she's not even 3 yet.

Quoting christineT79:

OMG. That's amazing. I don't know what age kids do things since I'm a FTM of a 5 month old baby but Kindergarden seems early for writing & cursive right? I remember learning cursive in 2nd grade.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM

We homeschool through a charter school.  It was his choice to learn.

Quoting Allie01:

He has very nice handwriting!! My daughter hasn't started using cursive yet. Does your son attend a school or do you homeschool??

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I didn't want to previously but I've been reading about the benefits and now it makes me sad they aren't teaching kids this :(

Quoting dallascowboys82:

So cute!! My dd is in the fourth grade and they don't teach cursive

Allie01
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Awesome! My daughter really wants to learn as well. Do you use a certain program to teach him cursive?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

We homeschool through a charter school.  It was his choice to learn.

Quoting Allie01:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)