Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you the grandma?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 53 Replies

Ugh!!!!!  I feel so old.  I am 37 with a set of 7 month-old twins and 6 year-old all boys.  As with all babies especially twins you have strangers cooing over your children, but then I have had a few ask if they are my grandchildren.

How many other older moms have had this and how have you handled it?eye rolling

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C.Fleury
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Oh my honey !!! I'm so sorry :(

I've never had this happen, however here's a BUMP for you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GMom2011
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I am 36, and had some asshat ask me if I was my sins grandma. He is 18 month. I don't have a single gray hair or wrinkle. So pissed.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I am sorry you had to go through that! frown mini

MJP76
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I'm 36 and all of my kids are older. I have one in college, one in HS and one in ES. 

I feel old sometimes just because of how old my kids are. And because I'm not a "go out in the sun type of person" to tan, I'm really pale. So when I'm not getting enough sleep, the darkness under my eyes can get really pronounced (at least that's the way I feel).

anywho, I am thankful I have good genes, the oldest I've been guessed for is 30 the youngest was 22 but generally I get guessed for between 25-28. 

However, some of the things I do to combat feeling old, is moisturizer, if I'm going somewhere that is not grocery shopping, I don't wear sweats, and baggy clothes.. I don't dress up per se to go everywhere, but I will wear jeans with a decent shirt., and I wear make-up. Even if its just base and mascara. I don't typically wear a lot of make-up anyway. If you look at my avatar, that's me and hubby on Halloween, and that for me is wearing heavy make-up because we went to a bar. (I was a flapper girl).

another thing that helped me not feel so old after I had my last DS was to lose weight. (Please don't take offense to that). It's a proven fact that as the pounds come off you also look younger. :)

Marz31
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM

OMG, how rude! I try my hardest not to judge (I'm 37 too, have a 4yo and we may or may not be done, DH is 40) so I often don't make comments about the person with them. for all we know it's a nanny or aunt or SISTER! you just don't know, so I just comment on the baby. 

GMom2011
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Yea.... I dress well, am not overweight at all, wear makeup... No gray hair, no wrinkles. Nothing about it makes sense to me. I just think some people are morons.

Quoting MJP76:

I'm 36 and all of my kids are older. I have one in college, one in HS and one in ES. 

I feel old sometimes just because of how old my kids are. And because I'm not a "go out in the sun type of person" to tan, I'm really pale. So when I'm not getting enough sleep, the darkness under my eyes can get really pronounced (at least that's the way I feel).

anywho, I am thankful I have good genes, the oldest I've been guessed for is 30 the youngest was 22 but generally I get guessed for between 25-28. 

However, some of the things I do to combat feeling old, is moisturizer, if I'm going somewhere that is not grocery shopping, I don't wear sweats, and baggy clothes.. I don't dress up per se to go everywhere, but I will wear jeans with a decent shirt., and I wear make-up. Even if its just base and mascara. I don't typically wear a lot of make-up anyway. If you look at my avatar, that's me and hubby on Halloween, and that for me is wearing heavy make-up because we went to a bar. (I was a flapper girl).

another thing that helped me not feel so old after I had my last DS was to lose weight. (Please don't take offense to that). It's a proven fact that as the pounds come off you also look younger. :)

MJP76
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Im confused... I was talking to OP. I was giving her suggestions on maybe things to just make her feel/look younger... I wasn't really addressing anyone else..

Quoting GMom2011:

Yea.... I dress well, am not overweight at all, wear makeup... No gray hair, no wrinkles. Nothing about it makes sense to me. I just think some people are morons.

Quoting MJP76:

justme-75
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Lol. None taken.  I have been a "fat-girl" all of my life. I would probably look like a shar pei if I lost weight now.  You do make a go point I do have many friends my age who have children out of high school. 

Quoting MJP76:

ashleywagoner
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I am 32 but I really don't feel old at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMDS0304
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM
I'm 32 and look really young I usually get asked if I'm old enough to have my 3. The oldest will be 10 in a few months. Most people don't think she's mine and will ask.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)