Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you let your kid ride bikes "around the block"

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 18 Replies

I only allow my daughters (9 &8) to ride bikes around the house and in the alley beside our house and behind it. My neighbors allow their 6 year old to ride down the street, onto the street behind ours and back home (literally a neighborhood block). To me, this seemed completely unacceptable because it was out of earshot should they need to yell for help. 

Well. My best friend lives the next town over and her kids are 10 and 9 and she's been letting her kids ride around the neighborhood for years. She told me I was behaving a little control freakish and now Im wondering if she's right!? My mom let me ride around the neighborhood when I was my daughters age, but, at the same time I knew all my neighbors and it was a safer time. I'm all for kids being kids- believe me, I'm not a super helicopter type parent at all- I just thought I was being vigilent. Its only 6:10 here... getting dark. I see the little girl next door riding her bike in the alley and I think... its dark out. Go home. 

What is your opinion? I am willing to loosen the reigns if it's true I'm being irrational. I don't want to raise a fuddy duddy kid who cannot do and think for themselves. However, I don't want to feed my kids to the wolves, either. Kwim? 

Mama to my 8 little monkeys <3

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I don't think you are being unreasonable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carakitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I think a lot of the answer in this situation depends on how safe the neighborhood is, how street-smart the kid is, and who else will be with the child.

I think when I was 8- 9 years old I was able to ride my bike on my street and up the hill next to ours. I had a couple friends who lived on the hill.

My DD is 8 and has next to no confidence on her bike so we don't have to deal with this issue. When ever she wants to ride her bike I need to help her on our hill and we go to the neighborhood park where it is easier for her to ride and I'm always right there.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

We don't have a block. We live on a somewhat busy road so I never let my kids ride on the road. 

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I dont think you are being controlling at all. My dd was ten before she was allowed out of my sight. I felt better about it if there were other kids with her though and would let her go then. It was funny that when she did turn 10, I had to force her to go on her own. After the first few times, I couldn't keep her in my sight for nothing.  

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

We live in the country so the situation is a little different. At this point our sons (10 and 7) don't ride on the road. We let our dd ride her bike to her friend's house (back country roads) when she was 12.

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

My oldest ds is only 9 and no, I don't let him ride around the block.  We live in a not so bad part of a bad neighborhood.

ToYnyc
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

i think you should follow your own instincts as a mother, times have changed and there is nothing wrong with keeping a close watch on your kids.

MamaCarterof5
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Wow, I honestly did not expect to read these kinds of responses. The more and more I sat and stewed over it, the more I felt like maybe I was being irrational or overprotective. Like you, SallyB, I live in the nicer area of a bad neighborhood. The stretch of houses I live in is great... until you turn the corner...

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM
We don't have sidewalks and it would take me an hour to ride around our "block" so yeah...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kara242
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM

My oldest was 8 when I let her but the "block" we let her ride around is within ear shot of the backyard/garage. My 7 yr old rides around a bigger block with both girls and has since he was 5(been riding 2 wheeler with out training wheels since 3)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)