Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Lactose intolerance and children

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM
  • 14 Replies

My dd and I are both lactose intolerant. It's not severe enough to the point of cutting out all dairy so we do eat a little cheese and some yogurt. We drink lactose free milk but we drink very little of it. We don't care for milk and it still hurts our stomachs slightly. I feel guilty because I'm not sure if she is getting enough calcium. She refuses to take vitamins. She won't even take meds when she is sick. Are your children lactose intolerant? What do you do to make sure they are getting enough calcium?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermomz25
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

my husband and my youngest are lactose intolerant. they both eat a little cheese and they drink lactose free milk. that way I am sure that my son is getting his calcium.

Kitschy
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't really absorb calcium from milk, don't feel guilty.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Really? That's good to know. Where do you get calcium from? I was hoping there were veggies or some non dairy food that we could get our calcium from.

oliver92
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

My 11 yr old son is lac intol has been his whole life, used to break out in huge rashes, puke, and dhi. but we have always given him cheese and yogurt, offered options that are processed differently than actual milk.  he has always drank soy or pwd milk.  never had a problem with calcium levels. get liquid vit and place in apple sauce or drink.. 

TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

There are plenty of veggies high in calcium....broccoli, green/red/etc peppers are the first that come to my mine, and some family favorites.  DD#1 and I both have very low lactose tolerances.  We can eat some cheese and 'processed' dairy products - but we eat veggies in the place of most milk.

frstldyhmsch
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

No one in my house drinks cow's milk (for about 5yrs), as we are lactose intolerant. We drink Almond milk which has a significant amount of calcium in it. Know that dairy is not the only source of calcium. Their are many fruits & veggies that naturally contain calcium. Just had all my routine blood work done and my levels are great....p.s. we're ovo-dairy vegetarians 

christineT79
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm lactose intolerant. I eat cheese & yogurt but very little cow's milk. The only time I drink cow's milk is in my cerial mabey twice a week & I cook with cow's milk. I love almond milk. You can get plenty of calcium from veggies like greens. Cow's milk is not needed in anyones diet. It's pretty unnatural for a mammal to drink milk from another mammal. Cow's milk is for cows. I also don't like that they load up the cows with hormones, steroids & antibiodics. It makes me wonder about kids going through puberty younger these days. You & your kids are better off not drinking much cow's milk & sticking to veggies rich in calcium & take a multi vitamin.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Honestly I had never thougght much about it until the other day at the grocery store. A woman was giving out samples of some kind of milk. I shook my haed and told her my daughter and I were lactose intolerant. She gave me a dirty look and said well how does your daughter get her calcium? It made me start thinking.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
DSis allergic to dairy. He drinks coconut milk and I mask some leafy veggies. I also buy liquid calcium With magnesium and put this in is coconut mik.
miselanious
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I am also Lactose intolerant and my son as well. We drink Almond milk as well. I also buy lots of the fruit flavored Almond milk for a drink snack. I recently have fallen in love with the yoplait lactose free yougurt. It is great. I can't eat ANY dairy without a reaction. So I am super picky about what I choose to eat. I tend to cook dairy free. I eat lots of baked chicken, beef and veggis.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)