Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Beyond Picky...And giving in?? *Update after dinner*

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM
  • 26 Replies

Our neighbors sometimes watch our 3 kids (ages 5, 7, and 9) and they asked us to return the favor for them (they asked a couple of weeks ago).  Their daughters are 5 and 10.  We knew the oldest we super picky, but we had no idea just HOW picky.  We had them for breakfast one time, and I made waffles and Emily (the 10 yr old) said she didn;t like waffles and just didn't eat breakfast.

So tonight she insisted that she wanted Papa John's Pepperoni Pizza.  I told her that I did not want to buy a pizza.  I messaged her mother about what she would eat.  This is the COMPLETE list of the foods Emily will eat:

Papa John's Pepperoni Pizza

Angelhair or Penne Pasta - Plain, no butter, oil, or any sauces.

Tacos - Old El Paso, Corn hard shell, with Kraft mild cheddar cheese, no lettuce, no tomato.

Shrimp Poppers - They can be purchases at the new Walmart, but not at the Walmart closest to us.

Grilled cheese - made with Kraft American slices only

Bacon - No restrictions

I was highly annoyed when I saw this list because all this requires a special trip to the grocery store NOT because she is allergic to something (which I would certainly understand) but because they give in to her!  

Please know that I am just venting and I am just going to smile and welcome these little girls into my home like nothing is going on.  However, I think that if there is THIS many restrictions they should 1) feed the kid BEFORE taking them somewhere 2) bring money for pizza or 3) bring food for her to eat.  I have a problem (and I know this is MY problem) feeding any child plain, pasta while everyone else eats normal food.

Update:  So we opted for the pizza because I figured my kids would appreciate it (they hardly ever get "real pizza").   Emily took a piece of pizza, (they never say please or thank you), ate less than half, and then said, "I'm done!"  She got up, threw the rest in the trash and ran upstairs to play.  At this point, my husband and I just looked at each other, shook our head, laughed a bit, and happily finished the rest of the pizza.  We realize that the kids have little manners.  Whatever.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds similar to my SS. We are slowly getting him to eat other things. My suggestion is to offer her what you made everyone else or a pb and j.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I don't see why plain pasta needs a special trip to the store. This wouldn't bother me, picky eaters outgrow it, and AAP studies show forcing them doesn't have positive results.

I wouldn't feel uncomfortable asking the mom to send something though. She should have been considerate enough to think of that herself!

anotherandree
by Inga on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM
We have PASTA but it has to be ANGELHAIR or PENNE which we don't have. That's what's so frustrating is the exact types and specific brands. I have cheese for grilled cheese, but I don't have KRAFT.

Quoting GraceStrickland:

I don't see why plain pasta needs a special trip to the store. This wouldn't bother me, picky eaters outgrow it, and AAP studies show forcing them doesn't have positive results.

I wouldn't feel uncomfortable asking the mom to send something though. She should have been considerate enough to think of that herself!

GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Well I do feel it is inconsiderate of her to give you a list rather some foods.  I have a picky eater ( vegetarian by choice) and I always pack her food.

But I understand the venting as well, there is a little girl in my neighborhood who wanders over sometimes, asks for a snack, and rejects everything I have.  I love kids and am nice to all of them, but it's just so much more obnoxious when it's someone elses, and I feel awful that I think that way but....

Quoting anotherandree:

We have PASTA but it has to be ANGELHAIR or PENNE which we don't have. That's what's so frustrating is the exact types and specific brands. I have cheese for grilled cheese, but I don't have KRAFT.

Quoting GraceStrickland:

Nikaniko
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I think in this case her parents should provide her food to bring to your house.

CotterpinDoozer
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM

That's irritating, I know someone who's an adult and still is super picky because his parents just gave him whatever he wanted. I have lots of food allergies, so I have to be careful with what I ate, but this person just is plain picky. We were going to have him over for dinner and pretty much the only things he would eat are things you feed kids. PB and J, Chicken Nuggets, Kraft Mac and Cheese. He wouldn't eat homemade mac and cheese it had to be Kraft...and then he got pissy that we don't keep Peanut butter in the house. (I'm allergic and had no kids at the time, so I had no reason to keep it in the house, something he knew.)

oliver92
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM

They probably tried everything they could for years, they should have let you know she eats this only or will be unhappy.  But we have a 3 yr old who literally dosent eat a thing, we could specifically give you a list of like 5 things he may take a bite or two of and thats it.  We do offer a plate of dinner so to speak anyways, hoping eventually curiosity will add a few more options.  He drinks milk, and will always eat string cheese.  thats the only guarantee. :)  So i understand having to feed what they will eat too.  But we always let people know he wont eat a thing and make sure he has some options too. Its just who he is.

ToYnyc
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

i agree, her mom should give you money to buy what she likes if shes that picky

anotherandree
by Inga on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I think kids are supposed to be picky at 3. Mine were and I know a lot that are, but they are too little to reason. Ten years old is too old to just eat five very specific things and nothing else. She knows about food groups and nutrition, but has tantrums like a 3 year old and her parents instantly give in.

Quoting oliver92:

They probably tried everything they could for years, they should have let you know she eats this only or will be unhappy.  But we have a 3 yr old who literally dosent eat a thing, we could specifically give you a list of like 5 things he may take a bite or two of and thats it.  We do offer a plate of dinner so to speak anyways, hoping eventually curiosity will add a few more options.  He drinks milk, and will always eat string cheese.  thats the only guarantee. :)  So i understand having to feed what they will eat too.  But we always let people know he wont eat a thing and make sure he has some options too. Its just who he is.

susan115
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Different strokes for different folks, loved it when my kids were little, my daughter had 1 friend like that and to this day she is still picky, can't wait to see what happens when she has kids of her own, she will be in real trouble.  Have fun with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)