Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Airline food for kids

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM
  • 14 Replies

Does anyone know what the difference is between a toddler meal and a child meal?

We are taking our first trip with dd where she is eating real food and we get a meal on the plane.  Last year on her first trip overseas she was eating baby food and having a bottle so I didn't have to worry about this.  We are flying Delta back and forth to Germany and I've reserved a toddler meal as of right now for both flights.  I have not been able to find anything on their website.  I have emailed them and will call if they don't respond but I was hoping other moms might be able to give me some "mom" insight as to what I'll get.  I'll have plenty of fruit pouches and snacks for her but I know our typical meal on a plane is usually a pasta or chicken & risotto dish.  She would eat that stuff but I would rather not create a huge mess with them, which I know she would do.  I wonder if I could get through security with one of her toddler meals and ask the flight attendants to heat it up for 30 seconds???  They have very little liquid in them but I know she would eat them.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I do not.  Bump for others!

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Is there a price difference?  I think I would still get the toddler meal adn what she doesn't eat you may be able to save and take with you.  I would rather have too much than not enough.  Airline meals aren't usually that big.

georgiatraveler
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM

No it doesn't cost us anything, as far as I know.  That's something I will double check when I talk to them.  I'm also of the mindset I would rather have too much than not enough so I may switch to the child meal.

MJP76
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM

We travel all the time and personally I wouldn't eat airline food.. ICK!

if you don't mind the food for you, I would at least pack items for your child... Things that don't need refrigerated...

when I was a child, I flew back and forth alone, from Ohio to Texas (parents were divorced) I wouldn't eat the meals... And just ask for crackers... Or pretzels .... The food was gross.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I didn't even know those options were available. lol 

I would think they would be smart enough to put finger food in a toddler meal. 

I did a quick google and found this

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1109510-delta-infant-kids-meals-whats-em.html

You have to read down a bit but it sounds like it's stuff like chicken nuggets or cheese pizza. 

TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

What is served in a children's meal depends on the airline.  I usually fly ElAl and remember looking at the children meal choices last summer...I remember chicken nuggets for the dinner, I forget what the breakfast was.  You should be able to find out from the airline what they, generally, put in the meals.  

TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Quoting MJP76:

if you don't mind the food for you, I would at least pack items for your child... Things that don't need refrigerated...

when I was a child, I flew back and forth alone, from Ohio to Texas (parents were divorced) I wouldn't eat the meals... And just ask for crackers... Or pretzels .... The food was gross.

Airline food has come a long way since we were kids.  It isn't gourmet or anything extra-special....but it is decent.  Also...when you are on a 12 hour flight there are only so many crackers or granola bars you can eat!

DieselsMom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I've flown Delta several times to and from Germany, and never seen anyone get a "toddler meal" that was different than the normal pasta or chicken...I always bring crackers, chips, etc...things that don't need to be heated up...are you flying for a dinner time, or lunch time? maybe you could pack something like a lunchable that doesn't have liquid in it, and let her munch on that?? does she have her own seat?

MJP76
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Oh no.. I still travel a lot today... We take two vacations a year. And IMO the food still sucks. I will eat the fruit, and possibly the veggie.. But the protein, looks very similar to reheated left overs... Um.. Gross. Kids tend to be pickier than adult... I said crackers and pretzels because that's what else flights offered, and my mother didn't know any better...

and that's why I suggested packing something for the kids.. There are plenty options to pack for kids, if you can't figure it out then I can't help you.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting MJP76:

Airline food has come a long way since we were kids.  It isn't gourmet or anything extra-special....but it is decent.  Also...when you are on a 12 hour flight there are only so many crackers or granola bars you can eat!

TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Quoting MJP76:

, if you can't figure it out then I can't help you

LOL - I didn't ask for your help.  We have no problems with the food we get on planes.  Then again, no matter what airline we fly, we always get kosher meals which we have found to be of much better quality than non-kosher options on some airlines.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)