Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

They forgot his birthday

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 6 Replies

I need advice. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law forgot my husband's birthday. Their own brother! My brother-in-laws birthday is 8 days before my husband's b'day. For the past 2 years, my in-laws have been on vacation and have not been here for either birthday so my husband and I have had my BIL & SIL over to celebrate my BIL's b'day. Homemade dinner, cakes, the works. Well, this year neither one of them acknowledged my husband's b'day. No text. no phone call, nothing! My husband says it doesn't bother him because "I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose" are his words but I think it does bother him a little. Well, this past weekend we all gathered for dinner at my in-laws house to celebrate all the January birthday's, my brother-in-law, my son and my husband all have January birthdays. I thought maybe my BIL & SIL will finally wish their older brother a happy birthday. Nope! Nothing! I am shocked. I talked to my husband about it and he seems more hurt by it but he makes excuses for them. "They are young and at their age this is something I would have done". This is crap! They are 25 & 27 years old. They are not children, they are adults. They manage to remember their friend's b'days. I asked my husband if he wanted me to say something to them about it and he said he didn't want me to. I then asked if he wanted me to talk to his mother and again he said no. But I am so mad I really want to talk to them about it and find out why they didn't even get my husband a card or say Happy Birthday. What do you think? Should I just let it go? I know this hurts my husband deep down inside. He is always been there for his younger siblings and for them to forget his birthday has to hurt. Advice needed. Thanks.

BTW - my husband and I are 35 with kids so we are in a differnet place in our lives than my BIL & SIL. My BIL lives are home and is jobless. My SIL is still in college but supported by her parents and spends all her free time with her boyfriend.  

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I think you should mention it to them!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM
We don't sweat the small stuff in my family. None of my family called on my bday but it makes no difference. I know they love me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM
It's not your call to tell them off, but I'd throw hints around like, "We really had a great time on his birthday a couple days ago..."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C.Fleury
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM
I wouldn't get totally irate with them, however I would mention it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BlsdWithTwOKids
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Quoting C.Fleury:

I wouldn't get totally irate with them, however I would mention it

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM

it's just very thoughtless of them !  I may not get along with my BIL - last year no invite was sent our way for anything so I don't know if they did do anything for him, but I atleast wished him happy birthday through FaceBook.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN