Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

scared of vacuum... need advice

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 38 Replies

my daughter is 20 months old and when i go to vacuum she runs and hides and cries.  i don't even have to turn the vacuum on b4 she's taking cover on the couch or hiding in the kitchen.  but when i do turn it on i don't know whats louder the vacuum or her crying.  how do i get her over her fear of the vacuum.  are there any other moms that have young toddlers that have this fear.  please help, need advice.

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlsdWithTwOKids
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Aw I am sorry,I don;t remember my kids being afraid of the Vacuum...

BUMP

Good Luck

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM
I remember my 8 year old never liked vacuums/ loud noises. Can't remember what I did to give you any advice. He still doesn't like loud noises, now he just walks in another room when I start to vacuum.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM

It is the noise she doesn't like.  My daughter was the same way.  To this day, she's really sensitive to loud noises.  When I was a kid, my mom would give me a ride on the vacuum when she was cleaning.

biomom1437
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

i'd let her ride the vacuum but she hates it so much she won't come close enough to it for her to get on it.  i just feel so bad when she screams and cries.  everytime i have to vacuum it breaks my heart to hear her crying so much.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

It is the noise she doesn't like.  My daughter was the same way.  To this day, she's really sensitive to loud noises.  When I was a kid, my mom would give me a ride on the vacuum when she was cleaning.

GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
They grow out of it. I just hipped them, or put show on in a closed room while I vacuumed. Even did it when they went out with Dad.
biomom1437
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM

ya i'm a single parent and don't have anyone who could take her for a few hours but i could maybe try putting on her favorite cd in her bedroom and close the door but don't really want to trap her in her room cause i don't want her to think i'm punishing her idk. and also her dad wants nothing to do with her since he found out i was pregnant so can't do that.

Quoting GraceStrickland:

They grow out of it. I just hipped them, or put show on in a closed room while I vacuumed. Even did it when they went out with Dad.

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM

i got one of those little bissel vacs that they sell for back-to-school.  the handle could be made really short and it's small and light weight and not very loud.  DD wanted to help the second i took it out of the box.  she HATED the big one though.    DS use to chase the vac around, even when he was just scooting around on his belly lol

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM
You don't punish with a favorite DVD do you???

Quoting biomom1437:

ya i'm a single parent and don't have anyone who could take her for a few hours but i could maybe try putting on her favorite cd in her bedroom and close the door but don't really want to trap her in her room cause i don't want her to think i'm punishing her idk. and also her dad wants nothing to do with her since he found out i was pregnant so can't do that.

Quoting GraceStrickland:

biomom1437
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM

no but i put her in her crib for a min and a half for a time out.  is that a bad thing to do?

Quoting hollydaze1974:

You don't punish with a favorite DVD do you???

Quoting biomom1437:

Quoting GraceStrickland:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
If it's the noise you can get her some hearing protection from the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart. Ds has spd and he has to wear those to block noise in church, concerts, crowded rooms, rooms, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN