Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

does anyone homeschool multiple kids

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 9 Replies

i am wanting to homeschool again but i have 3 school children and the last time i did it was hard with 3 kids. any advice

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
arctophile
by Christi on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I am currently homeschooling 3.  Most days it goes well.  They need to be patient and so do you.  It can be difficult but is so worth it.  Right now, my 3 are PK, 1, and 2 so they still need a lot of help.  I think it will get easier as they can work more independantly.  I plan to have 4 homeschooling next year.

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I've been homeschooling my four children, but only three grade levels, for six years now.  What I've noticed is that the older the children get and the longer we homeschool, the easier things are for us all.  They know what's expected of them and I am better prepared than I was when I first started homeschooling. 

I agree with the previous poster that the more patients you have the easier it is to homeschool multiple children.  There will be bad days, and there will be great days; so know that going into it.  There are ways to make it easier by pre-planning curriculum and school work and trying to set a reasonable routine that has cushion for the unexpected.  Try not to overbook or over schedule yourselves to where you're going to so many places and doing so many things in one day that you wear yourselves out.  There are subjects that you can combine and teach to all the children at once, such as History, Geography and Science.  Most importantly have confidence in yourself; this self-confidence will show and help your children become more confident in homeschooling.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Mine go to public school so no advice here. 

MamaCarterof5
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM

The early years are the hardest, thats what everyone keeps telling me. I am homeschooling 3 and my twins start Kindergarten this summer. My kids are in third, second and Kindergarten right now and I can say without a doubt that my third grader was SOOOOO much easier this year now that she's really nailed down the basics in math and language arts. 

When we first started off, we were on a strict schedules and lesson plans and all that did was stress me out (and the kids, too!)

surrender

I ALMOST gave up. Then a good friend of mind mentored me a bit. She told me to make a loose monthly lesson plan and to follow it rather than a strict day to day schedule. It helped us tremendously. I needed that overall structure to hold myself accountable but the looseness of it in order to stay sane on those tougher days. 

My sons schoolwork for this year will be completely done in the next two weeks (K) and I am aiming at finishing up my 2nd and 3rd graders before my baby is born in May. There are days we do little to nothing, then other days when everyone is motivated and in the groove. It all is working out for us now. I just had to loosen up a bit :)

Mama to my 8 little monkeys <3

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

bump~

Quoting countrymomma81:

Kara242
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:58 PM

My dd does a digital school at home. She does everything on the pc. If I had more than one kid doing it I think I would pull my hair out from trying to figure out what days she has what class at what time.

frstldyhmsch
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I do...their ages are 5, 8 and 12. I've been homeschooling for 7 years. My advice would be to pace yourself and don't be afraid to go outside of your plans for the day. If you have to spend more time with one child, then make sure the other 2 have something to do when they finish up an assignment. And a huge helper is although the kids are at home, make it a rule that they raise their hand when they need help. This will keep the noise level down. Use your computer often, spend lost of time at the library and just have fun!

mommyin925
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM
I want do it but hubby doesnt think i can because i have failed before. Im affraid the girls are going tto fight enough to make me go crazy. But im affraid of my son failing because he not liking this school. I am lost. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:43 AM
Same here.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)