Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Good makeup for person with large pores and DRY skin?

Posted by   + Show Post

All I can find are posts about large pores and oily skin or acne I have large pores and dry skin. Very large pores! I have tried so many makeup brands that have good coverage for the pores but they all enhance the dry parts of my face. I wash, scrub, tone, prime, all that so please just makeup talk not skin care, in sincerity.....Mac was last "send back" it just sat in each pore, enhancing. 

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
mikemantha
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Jojoba oil for a moisturizer is awesome '! 

Lve been making my own facial care products for about a month now and love it ;) 

i use Clinique makeup . I'm prone to acne and have been using their acne treating full coverage liquid base and then just a translucent finishing powder. I only use the base in my trouble areas (under eyes, under nose and chin) . 

I like the ones in the mall because you can try it on before you buy. But a little pricey. Worth the money and they last awhile ! 

mommy-munster
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:25 PM
I use tarte poreless primer and there finishing powder it completely smoothed out my face and pores :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChloeDolce1
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM

You need a foundation primer.  A primer will create a barrier between the skin and the makeup so that the makeup itself lays on the primer and can not settle in to fine lines or enlarged pores.  I PROMISE you this will make a world of a difference.  I like Laura Mercier Hydrating Face primer (since you are dry) and Also NARS primer.  Smashbox Photofinish is also a good option but if you go this route be sure to get the Hydrating formula since you are dry.  The original one has alot of dimethicone in it which can be drying.  I also recommend Laura Mercier moisturizing foundation.  It gives the most beautiful, flawless finish and is my favorite foundation.  (Especially when applied with a Beauty Blender for the most amazing airbrushed finish)  Chanel also makes gorgeous foundations that lay beautifully on the skin with a creamy glow, such a vitalumiere. 

BTW I'm a professional makeup artist with over 10 years experience in working with luxury cosmetics brands, print and runway.  I'm not a know it all but my advice is pretty solid based on professional experience. 

ChloeDolce1
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Also I know you said you're good with skincare but if you are dry and large pores is a concern I would whole heartedly suggest you try Dr. Dennis Gross Aplha Beta Peels.  It's a daily (every other day if your sensitive) that will address both of your concerns and many more with long lasting effects.  I have never sweared by a product more in my life than this.  I have suggested it to hundreds of people over the years and everyone has been blown away by them.

ChloeDolce1
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM

They are 2 totally different things.  Halo is a loose mineral powder.  Photo Finish is a line of foundation primers.  One would usually use Halo on top of photo finish.  Halo alone will not solve the issue you are having though.  And if you are very dry Halo can look a bit cakey.

Quoting Camsmom101007:

Is halo better than photofinish people rave about?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

It's not the foundation you need to focus on, it's the finishing powder. You need one that produces an airbrush effect. I have large pores and dry skin too, I use tinted moisturizer and finish it with Smashbox Halo powder, which is moisturizing and airbrushed the pores. It is tinted and provides extra coverage, if you don't need the extra cover Make Up Forever HD finishing powder is great too and feels silky.

None of these products are cheap, but I don't scimp on my skin or hair. They are investments in "me".

ChloeDolce1
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I fully disagree with this.  The foundation itself makes a HUGE difference. She may just not be using one that's right for her skin...and to be honest with dry skin I often skip powder because it can increase the dryness.   The MUFE HD powder is great but only if it's used properly.  It should be used on a velour puff and pressed in to the skin....or lightly buffed with a stippeling brush.  As for Halo, it really depends how dry her skin is....hydrating or not its still powder and I have seen it look very cakey on dry skin.  An amazing primer and foundation is really going to be key.......otherwise covering it up with powder is in LITERALLY just masking the problem with another layer that may not be needed at all 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

It's not the foundation you need to focus on, it's the finishing powder. You need one that produces an airbrush effect. I have large pores and dry skin too, I use tinted moisturizer and finish it with Smashbox Halo powder, which is moisturizing and airbrushed the pores. It is tinted and provides extra coverage, if you don't need the extra cover Make Up Forever HD finishing powder is great too and feels silky.

None of these products are cheap, but I don't scimp on my skin or hair. They are investments in "me".

ChloeDolce1
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Not a fan of any line sold at home such as Arbonne at all.  It is so rare that anyone who sells it even knows what they are talking about.  I went to an arbonne partyb a few years back a friend was having to be polite.  I ended up answering questions for people that the rep couldn't even begin to answer.  I've worked for many makeup lines (MAC, Trish McEvoy, Laura Mercier, NARS, Chanel, Smashbox) as well as used almost every brand out there....and I wasn't impressed by any of their products at all.  It's a glorfied Avon or Mary Kay...nothing to brag about.  There is MUCH better product out there...the hardest part is finding someone to stear you in the right direction and give you knowledgable advice

Quoting grneyedormom:

Foundation, mineral powders, pressed powders, shadows, blushes, face wash, scrubs, etc. it's not in stores, purchased through individual consultants. You can find one at www.arbonne.com It's on the spendy side but I love it and what it's done for my face in my "old" age compared to the over the counter make ups and face washes.

ChloeDolce1
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Witch hazel will act as an antiseptic and help with oil control.  If you are dry and red  though it's not a great option.  For the large pores I can not say enough about Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel pads.  They work wonders.  For the redness I really love REN Calming moisturizer...it is for sensitive skin to provide gentle hydration and soothe and calm redness.  Skinceuticals Redness Relief is also a great treatment

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting justahousewife:

Treat your face with witch hazel and a moisturizer. Instead of covering up the problem, treat it.

What does the witch hazel do? I have large pores on my cheeks and my face is always red. 

ChloeDolce1
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM

If you are dry you need a moisturizer.... that goes without saying for sure.  BB creams are really just glorifieds tinted moisturizers...and tinited moistuizers aren't really moisturizers at all.  I know, it's confusing.  Tinted Moisturizer is a discriptiong mots cosmetic companies use for a very light, sheer foundation.  While they very well contain some levels of moisture it's rarely enough to do much for someone with dry skin.  Think about it.....you WANT your moisturizer to absorb in to the skin to hydrate...but you do NOT want your make  up to absorb in to the skin.  So they are and really should be 2 different products.  Also most BB creams tend to be oil free.....so that may be sufficient for someone who is oily in th way of getting hydration but not by far someone who is dry.  NOT ALL OIL IS BAD.  I can't stress that enough.  There are even oils out there that are good for oily skin!  I would be more than happy to make amazing moistuizer suggestions for you but I would need more info to be accurate:

Are you normal to dry or very dry?

Are you sensitive? (this means prone to irritation/allergic reaction)

Are you prone to breaksouts (this is different then being sensitive) and if so how often and where?

What do you use as a facial cleanser?

Quoting Camsmom101007:

I don't use a moisturizer....I thought the bob cream I also use did that! Guess I need to.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

If your face is dry, don't overtreat it.  All those things can just make it worse. 

Do you moisturize now?  What moisturizer do you use?

I also gree with ReadWriteLuv.  I like using a primer to give my skin a smoother palette to work with and then use a tinted moisturizer or even a BB cream if you don't need too much coverage.  Smashbox makes a primer that will help reduce overall redness.  I also really like their Halo powder, which gives an airbrushed finish without drying. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Where do I find these things?

Quoting ChloeDolce1:

Witch hazel will act as an antiseptic and help with oil control.  If you are dry and red  though it's not a great option.  For the large pores I can not say enough about Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel pads.  They work wonders.  For the redness I really love REN Calming moisturizer...it is for sensitive skin to provide gentle hydration and soothe and calm redness.  Skinceuticals Redness Relief is also a great treatment

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting justahousewife:

Treat your face with witch hazel and a moisturizer. Instead of covering up the problem, treat it.

What does the witch hazel do? I have large pores on my cheeks and my face is always red. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN