Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

FROM MY OLDEST SONS SCHOOL TODAY.....

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM
  • 43 Replies

A message from HOPEWELL HIGH SCHOOL

This is Principal Jones.

As of 7:35 AM we have been on a partial lockdown with CMS and Huntersville Police departments.  There are 2 dogs on sight assisting with the search of classrooms and all hallways (including lockers) for any objects or substances that will compromise the safety of our school.  Students and teachers were removed from classes as security personnel searched the designated areas, which means dogs were not near students or staff. 

The search and seizure will continue throughout the remainder of the day in our parking lots and remainder of the grounds.  No students or staff will be allowed to be in the parking lot until notified.  Our schedule has resumed as usual.    

Thank you for your partnership in assisting us with this effort to maintain the safety of our school community. 

Have a great day.  Go Titans!

How would you feel about this if it was your child in this situation? (p.s. my son is in 9th grade)

UPDATE: My son just got home and said that they (the cops) where actually patting students down (they did not pat my son down) .... and he heard that they found cocaine, weed and knives. I wonder if I will get an email with an update to what they found (last time they did the lockdown/search I got an email around 7pm that night saying they found drugs and 6 knives)

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM

It depends on the reason for the search.  I  wouldn't worry too much if our district had a policy where they conducted these searches frequently throughout the year. The high school I attended conducted routine locker searches while class was in session. We knew they did them, we just didn't know the days and times.  If this is not a normal security procedure in the district, then I would be worried.

TheMrs407
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like there was a bomb threat. It's pretty scary, but it sounds like they have things under control and are keeping the kids and staff safe.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM

this is the second time in a few weeks they've done a search ... last search turned up 6 knives and drugs ....

Quoting WesternNYmom:

It depends on the reason for the search.  I  wouldn't worry too much if our district had a policy where they conducted these searches frequently throughout the year. The high school I attended conducted routine locker searches while class was in session. We knew they did them, we just didn't know the days and times.  If this is not a normal security procedure in the district, then I would be worried.

mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I  hope its not a bomb threat (although I know kids have been known to do that to get out of class) . I do feel better knowing that the cops are there though

Quoting TheMrs407:

It sounds like there was a bomb threat. It's pretty scary, but it sounds like they have things under control and are keeping the kids and staff safe.

WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Yikes.

Quoting mommaTLC186:

this is the second time in a few weeks they've done a search ... last search turned up 6 knives and drugs ....

Quoting WesternNYmom:

mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I know right? I've only lived in the state for about 20 months. I do have to say it's a big improvement from Detroit schools (where I came from to move here), but I guess I thought that kind of thing wouldn't go on here (wishful thinking? lol)

I feel like going to get him (my son) but they dont release kids during lockdowns (which I think is kind of frustrating since I should be able to take my own kids whenever I want to) but I guess they do that to avoid panic? or to make sure the kid that is in possesion doesn't get away? idk

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Yikes.

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

TheMrs407
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
From your other post, it may just be a drug search and they are trying to crack down. Did you get an alert in the past?

Quoting mommaTLC186:

I  hope its not a bomb threat (although I know kids have been known to do that to get out of class) . I do feel better knowing that the cops are there though

Quoting TheMrs407:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM

The school I attended had issues with kids sneaking in pot, and alcohol.  Kids would hide joints in packs of cigaretts, and pour their drink of choice into thermoses or sports bottles, and sip it during breaks between classes. The problem got so bad that the administration ordered that the staff seize all water bottles, thermoses and cigarette packs that were brought onto campus. I couldn't even bring a thermos of soup to school for lunch. It was annoying, but I understood why they did this. I attended a small rural High school.  We also have one incident where a hunting knife was found in a locker. The owner of the locker was expelled for the remainder of the school year for violating school policy which banned him from bringing the knife onto school property.  I hate it when people say, "I don't live in the city so we are safe."  Incidents like this happen at every school across the country.

Quoting mommaTLC186:

I know right? I've only lived in the state for about 20 months. I do have to say it's a big improvement from Detroit schools (where I came from to move here), but I guess I thought that kind of thing wouldn't go on here (wishful thinking? lol)

I feel like going to get him (my son) but they dont release kids during lockdowns (which I think is kind of frustrating since I should be able to take my own kids whenever I want to) but I guess they do that to avoid panic? or to make sure the kid that is in possesion doesn't get away? idk

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Yikes.

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM

No, I didn't get a notification of that lockdown until my son came home and told me, then around 7pm I got a voice recording explaining it.

Quoting TheMrs407:

From your other post, it may just be a drug search and they are trying to crack down. Did you get an alert in the past?

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting TheMrs407:

mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM

In my 13yr olds school (he is in 8th grade in middle school), about 2 months ago, a kid brought a hammer to school with the intention of beating someone with it. He only got 4 days out of school suspension for that.

Quoting WesternNYmom:

The school I attended had issues with kids sneaking in pot, and alcohol.  Kids would hide joints in packs of cigaretts, and pour their drink of choice into thermoses or sports bottles, and sip it during breaks between classes. The problem got so bad that the administration ordered that the staff seize all water bottles, thermoses and cigarette packs that were brought onto campus. I couldn't even bring a thermos of soup to school for lunch. It was annoying, but I understood why they did this. I attended a small rural High school.  We also have one incident where a hunting knife was found in a locker. The owner of the locker was expelled for the remainder of the school year for violating school policy which banned him from bringing the knife onto school property.  I hate it when people say, "I don't live in the city so we are safe."  Incidents like this happen at every school across the country.

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Yikes.

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)