Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Picture Taking Moms,I Have A ?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

I think I have mentioned before that I LOVE to take photographs of my Children,I have been taking pictures for 2 years,,I buy props from the Target $1 bins for my Holiday shots but I want to venture and try new props,I have seen some really cute ideas to use Fabric,wooden letters,for pictures and my ? is where can I get fabric from,do they sell Fabric at stores like walmart or maybe just an art store,how much would it cost,I would like to use a Chalkboard for a prop and just different items,how much would a chalkboard cost,also you know those wooden letters they have at some photo studios,I heard you can buy those at a art store like Micheals and how much do they cost ?,I was thinking of getting those wooden blocks they sell at Toys R Us with letters and numbers but those might look odd being photographed with a 8 year old and a 7 year old since they are more popular for baby photographs...What other props would You suggest that I can get for cheap...

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlsdWithTwOKids
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Buump

RatherBeReading
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Fabric-not all Walmart stores have the crafting section now. If yours does, the fabric is as low as $2 a yard and goes up from there...I think I saw some as high as $6 a yard when I was looking at Christmas time. There is also stores like Joann's fabric and Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

The wooden letters are around $2-3 a letter, depending on size, and there are many cute ways to decorate them. 

I don't know about a chalkboard....maybe check like Staples or Office Depot?

Also, if you are not a member of Pinterest, I really suggest you join, There are sooooo many ideas for photography on there, for all ages.

My husband photographed a baby, and we got some cute headbands from Babies R Us (They were like $4 for a pack of 3), a cloth lined basket that said Princess on it ($20) and some pink feather boas from Micheals ($3 each). A friend of his built this little bed for a prop DOLL BED and you can customize the size. and the mattress was easy to make (foam and a pillowcase, pretty much)

BlsdWithTwOKids
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I looked on Walmart websight and they do have some fabric at my local store and I also saw they have these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plaid-Wood-Bold-Letter-Pack-60-pieces/17300151

I am hoping they aren't to pricey if they are I will look elsewhere

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I find Jo-Anns the cheapest for fabric.  You can sign up for their 40% off coupons.

I don't go searching for a particular prop.  I just keep my eyes out for good deals on something that would work for a prop if that makes sense.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Check Walmart first for fabric.  I've gotten a lot there for $1 a yard.  I'd just go to a craft store and walk around and see if anything catches your eye for props.

GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Just for back drops I would do fabric.com. super cheap and free/fast shipping
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amberraejones
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM

walmart does sale fabric.  you could also try looking at flea markets and yard sales when the weather gets warmer.  I do my pictures outdoors.  I think the lighting is better and the kids have a lot of fun.  

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM
yep walmart .Micheals..all over the place.
BlsdWithTwOKids
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I do outdoor pics to when the weather is right,there are some pretty parks around here.

Quoting amberraejones:

walmart does sale fabric.  you could also try looking at flea markets and yard sales when the weather gets warmer.  I do my pictures outdoors.  I think the lighting is better and the kids have a lot of fun.  

amberraejones
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I have wanted to buy some back drops to do pictures in doors.  Just never went out to get anything yet.  What should I buy for lighting?  I just got a new digital camera and I'm dying to try it out.  :)

Quoting BlsdWithTwOKids:

I do outdoor pics to when the weather is right,there are some pretty parks around here.

Quoting amberraejones:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)