Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Ruptured Ovarian Cyst

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

... anyone in here ever delt with this? 
I had one rutpure yesterday, and holy crap it hurts. I have blood/fluid in my abdomen, and now it just feels like the worst period cramps mixed with a twinge of back labor.

Please tell me this will stop eventually??!  

ETA: 
Thanks for the responses ladies. 

The pain started Saturday ... I had a feeling that it was a cyst, because I had one on the right side (that was surgically removed - didn't rupture though). I managed to make it through to Wednesday, but the pain just flat out became so unbarable around noon, that I had my husband take me to the ER. I told them what I thought that it was, and they just drugged me up for 8hrs and did some lab work and sent me home that night. Referred me to get an ultrasound Thurs morning and a follow up with the gyn. The U/S showed fluid and blood in my abdomen. The gyn doc just gave me a prescription for pain meds and said to have another U/S in 4 weeks to make sure all the blood reabsorbs. 

They all seemed like it was no big deal ... but I guess I'm kinda freaking out about the blood and such because I take blood thinners .... it just suprises me that they just sent me home. 
They gave me percocet, but I have to take 2 of them to even touch the pain I'm still having. 

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberraejones
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM

yes, it will eventually stop.  I have overian cysts on both sides.  The pain is so bad it takes your breath away sometimes.  What I found that helps is laying on a heating pad and taking something for pain.  A nice hot bath might help ease up the pain, too.  If the pain gets worse, you may want to go to the ER to get checked out.  I hope you find some relief soon.

virgochild79
by Nia on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Yep, had my Dermoid cyst rupture Oct 2011 and it hurt like hell. I thought I was going to die. The pain lasted for while, maybe about 2 days. I couldn't take the pain so I went to the ER about 15 hours into it and they hooked me up with some Morphine. The blood started to come out the next day and boy was it heavy. I ended up having the cyst and my right ovary removed Jan 2012. Take some pain meds because the ER isn't going to do squat about it but give you something strong like Morphine and then send you on your way. So sorry you're going through this :(

BabyFetus Ticker

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM
No I haven't. I hope you feel better soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RhiannonMare
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I had to have emergency surgery for mine. It had turned the head of my right ovary, cutting off the blood supply. The surgeon removed the cyst, ovary, fallopian tube and my appendix, which was getting ready to go bad.

amberraejones
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Wow!  That must have been scary!  I'm glad you are ok now. 

Quoting RhiannonMare:

I had to have emergency surgery for mine. It had turned the head of my right ovary, cutting off the blood supply. The surgeon removed the cyst, ovary, fallopian tube and my appendix, which was getting ready to go bad.

rgba
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Yep. Birth control pills helped
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RhiannonMare
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I was in the hospital from 7pm until 1am. The doctors insisted that it was constipation or menstrual cramps and only took x-rays and didn't see anything. They sent me home with painkillers. They wore off at 7am and I was back in the hospital in extreme pain. This time they did an ultrasound and found the cyst and I was in surgery at 2pm. Stupid doctors! I know my own damn body!

Quoting amberraejones:

Wow!  That must have been scary!  I'm glad you are ok now. 

Quoting RhiannonMare:

JessT5280
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Thanks for the responses ladies. 

The pain started Saturday ... I had a feeling that it was a cyst, because I had one on the right side (that was surgically removed - didn't rupture though). I managed to make it through to Wednesday, but the pain just flat out became so unbarable around noon, that I had my husband take me to the ER. I told them what I thought that it was, and they just drugged me up for 8hrs and did some lab work and sent me home that night. Referred me to get an ultrasound Thurs morning and a follow up with the gyn. The U/S showed fluid and blood in my abdomen. The gyn doc just gave me a prescription for pain meds and said to have another U/S in 4 weeks to make sure all the blood reabsorbs. 

They all seemed like it was no big deal ... but I guess I'm kinda freaking out about the blood and such because I take blood thinners .... it just suprises me that they just sent me home.
They gave me percocet, but I have to take 2 of them to even touch the pain I'm still having.  

lisahappymom
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Oh, goodness!  Can you take anything for the pain? 

I hope you feel better! 

MJP76
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I get ovarian cysts almost monthly since I started my period at 13. I was told at 13 by an OBGYN that they usually just rupture on their own,(and thats how you know you have them, because the most amount of pain is when they rupture) they only bother removing them if they get as big as a small orange... As they grow they become more uncomfortable, and the larger they are the more uncomfortable they are, however most rupture before they even reach grape size, which are the ones you feel when they rupture. The very first one I had (when I was 13) got to a golf ball size, and she told me that if the pain didn't go away within a week, they'd have to do another US to see if it got any larger... It burst and went away on its own.

Another time it was really bad I had one burst while having sex with my husband. When we were done it felt like my insides were falling out... I didn't realize that I had a cyst, but it must have gotten pretty bad. When I got to the ER they told me that I had a cyst that burst after running tests...

same as you, sent me home with pain pills... I've never gone to the ER for a cyst since then, because I can typically tell what's going on... Some more painful than others...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)