Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Would You Buy a Tiffany Ring From Costco?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
  • 16 Replies

Tiffany Engagement Rings Sold at Costco Are Probably Fake & We're Shocked

Posted by Kiri Blakeley

A Tiffany & Co. subsidiary is suing the wholesale retailer Costco for selling fake "Tiffany's" rings. Tiffany says that perhaps thousands of people bought engagement rings at Costco that they really, truly thought were Tiffany engagement rings (??!!). Naturally, the rings were not Tiffany rings but, er, Costco rings. Who fell for this nonsense??!!

The investigation started after an alert customer told Tiffany that a Costco in Huntington Beach, California was selling what it terms "Tiffany" rings to customers -- who thought they were getting a great deal on the notoriously pricey upscale rings. Says Tiffany's lawyer:

We now know that there are at least hundreds if not thousands of Costco members who think they bought a Tiffany engagement ring at Costco, which they didn't.

You have to wonder why anyone would believe that a Tiffany ring at Costco is a real Tiffany ring. Maybe it referred to a Tiffany setting -- but even that isn't a genuine Tiffany setting. At least Tiffany would like you to think it's not, even if it looks the same. But this sounds like they're talking about the entire ring -- diamond and all.

I'll be the first one to say no one has to feel obliged to buy a Tiffany engagement ring. But I'll also be the first to admit I wouldn't want to be given a ring from a big wholesaler. I've already given my reasons, so I'm not going to go into that again.

But people who buy a "Tiffany" ring at Costco are just fooling themselves. Yeah, like I was when I bought that blue "Opal" ring for $100 in Mexico. Turned out it was blue "Opal plastic." Not even glass, people. Plastic!

Buyer be warned, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. And, fellas, if you're trying to get away with giving your gal a Tiffany ring at a vastly reduced price, that's just lame. Just tell her it's from Costco. Apparently a lot of women don't care about that stuff.

Would you buy a Tiffany ring from Costco?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BLRiley
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM
What a SHAME! I think people just have a sense of trust and confidence in COSTCO that they didn't question the MEGA chain. I would have trusted them too. What this story does is shatter my trust in Costco. And that makes me REALLY sad!!! 😢
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Have you ever seen the prices on the diamonds at Costco? In my humble opinion, they aren't "greatly" reduced and are just as expensive as a stone sold at an established jeweler.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

No, I don't shop there.

CotterpinDoozer
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I don't shop there, there isn't one nearby us. That's awful though.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I don't shop there.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I wouldn't spend that much on jewelry
LovemyLO
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I just saw this on the news and  was shocked.. I feel like "Tiffany" is a brand that is known for being expensive and exclusive. So, when it is used in a fraudlent way (Costco)  it takes all that is special about that Name away! I am shocked Costco thought they could really get away with this.

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM
No. buy I'm an odd ball. I'm one of the only people I know who doesn't have a Costco membership.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM

While I shop at Costco I never buy jewelry or electronics there. I go there for bulk household supplies only. My wedding set didn't cost more than $100 and I love it. It's not the ring but what the meaning is that matters. 

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I'd buy it. I don't care about name brands or where my jewelry comes from.
All I care about is style and value.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)