Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Provisional Foster Care

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM
  • 8 Replies
My sister died in a car accident last week, she was on her way to get her son at daycare. The day this happened we also lost our grandmother, that was eairler in the morning. Stephanie was on her way to get Roark and come to my moms house to be with the family.

After we got word that she died we went to the daycare. Stephanie didn't have another authorized person listed at the daycare to pick Roark up. So he had to go into state custody. Since that time, I have filed for provisional foster care, which means that after a home study and background checks he will come live with us.

To complicate things further, the father of the child is anything less than a model citizen. There is a restraining order in place that prevents him from having contact with Roark or my sister. He was in prison for 3rd degree battery and drugs.

What I really need is advice on how to handle all of this at once.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Take your nephew.  Does the biological father have any parenting rights?  If not, then you should be able to go through the adoption process (if that is something you are considering).  Im am so sorry that your family has to go through this.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I agree. And I am so sorry for your losses. :( Hugs!

Quoting ScrChk23:

Take your nephew.  Does the biological father have any parenting rights?  If not, then you should be able to go through the adoption process (if that is something you are considering).  Im am so sorry that your family has to go through this.

reux
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Yikes! First of all, I'm so sorry for your losses. I sure hope you are able to obtain custody of your nephew.  I've never been through this process so I don't have any real advice for you. I wish you the best of luck with this!  

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

im sorry

TexanMomOf6
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM

im sorry 

IMHO, grief counseling would be a good idea for Roark and you too.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I am sorry for your losses : (
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Bless your heart! I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure after the state does the home study, they will have no problem having you become his legal guardian. Felons are not typically looked at as a viable option if there is another family member that is a better candidate. If the dad is that bad, maybe he won't even attempt to claim custody. The only issue I could see is him wanting the social security check.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I'm so sorry for your losses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN