Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Don't buy small animal food at pet stores!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:19 AM
  • 31 Replies

No, instead go to feed stores.  

At the pet store a 3 lb bag of chinchilla food can easily run $12

At the feed store we get a 25 lb bag of Mazuri (which is one of the best from what I've read) Chinchilla food for $15.

That's $18 for 25 lbs instead of $100

At the pet store a 5 lb bag of rabbit food is around $13

We buy 50 lb bags for $15 at the feed store.  

That's $15 for 50 lbs instead of $130

At the pet store a 4 lb bag of guinea pig food will be around $10-15

At the feed store we bought a 50 lb bag for $18.

That's $18 for 50 lbs instead of $125

And no, it's not lower quality food either.  It's just much cheaper through a pet store in bulk!  We buy chinchilla food yearly, guinea pig food will probably be once every couple of years, and rabbit food lasts us about 6 months (we have 2 rabbits).  This saves us about $380 per year!

Just thought I would share.  Hopefully I can save someone some money!  It really adds up fast!

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Oh and things like timothy hay are another one.  A small package is like $7.  We get a bale of hay for $15.  It's a lot more hay.  We go through it because we have sheep but still... if you have somewhere to store it you would never have to buy it again!

TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:54 AM
No option like that here - we are just thankful that the pet store in town even sells guinea pig food! Lol

Glad you are able to save money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM

We get better deals on food for our rabbits at our local Agway store. I wish we had somewhere to store timothy hay for them but we don't so we have to buy the bags :(

LCG83
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:33 AM
We started buying dog food at our feed store. We got a 50lb bag for $25. It is much higher in protein and had real meat as the first ingredient. I have already noticed a drastic improvement in my gsd's who suffer from food allergies since we switched. It was cheaper and healthier. I wish they sold cat food or cockatiel food. We do get our chicken feed from there also.
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Thanks for the tip. We go through rabbit food like crazy. 

Maybe you can help with an issue we are having with her. We feed her some food with a mix of pellets and vegetables. We are noticing that she puts most of it on the floor. Both the vegetables and the pellets, so it's not like she's favoring one over the other. Any suggestions?

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Wow!!

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I have no idea sorry. Our rabbits are outside so I don't really notice if they drop food. Maybe try feeding less at a time?

Quoting countrymomma81:

Maybe you can help with an issue we are having with her. We feed her some food with a mix of pellets and vegetables. We are noticing that she puts most of it on the floor. Both the vegetables and the pellets, so it's not like she's favoring one over the other. Any suggestions?

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

We have 3 indoor rabbits, we feed them their veggies separate from their pellets, and both separate from hay~ if that makes sense. Their food holders always have pellets in them but in the morning or afternoon we'll feed them some fresh veggies. In the evening we give them hay.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Anything "In bulk" saves you money.  That's a great tip for pets.  I  buy doggie treats at the bulk food store buy them by the pound. Wayyy cheaper than the pre-packaged brands

krise
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LCG83:

We started buying dog food at our feed store. We got a 50lb bag for $25. It is much higher in protein and had real meat as the first ingredient. I have already noticed a drastic improvement in my gsd's who suffer from food allergies since we switched. It was cheaper and healthier. I wish they sold cat food or cockatiel food. We do get our chicken feed from there also.

wow really! I have never thought of this!!! My aussie is getting older and I worry about how well I'm feeding him. I will have to look this up in my area.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)