Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

**small update** It is freeeeeeeezing...

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 25 Replies

in my house!!!! We told our landlord nearly 2 months ago about the ac unit acting up. He sends Father Time after 5pm to work on it. He says its the thermastate, puts a used one in and says it maybe a few degrees off but works. Fast foward a bit, it goes as well. We set it at 74 and it reads 65. So we adjust it so its not so cold. Then the weather drops and so does the heater a few days after using it. Well now the weather is in the 60s/50s after about 6pm. We use heaters in our bedrooms and bundle up when we go to bed. Well, the last 2 days have really pushed us both. Woke up this morning and the thermastate reads 50! 50! So I'm calling the landlord today, even though the weather is suppose to warm up, it wont be much.

As much as our landlord has been good to us when time got tough, the house has other issues. We started looking for places within our price range yesterday. Looks like our tax returns wont all be going to paying off all our bills.

So the landlord calls me about an hour ago, missed the call. Then SO is calling me tell me that he got a hold of him and he was kind of mad that he and the worker were in the house without one of us there. So we had a little arguement, oh well. Then he calls saying that he called the landlord and that now the heat is fixed, though he says that it was never broke in the first place. Excuse me!? I have the thermastat set at 90 degrees and it's telling me that it's 65 degrees in my house for 4 hours blowing cool air!!! That's not right. So, I'm waiting until I can run home and check it and also that my landlord was nice enough to lock my house back up.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Oh my gosh I'm sorry you're going through that! :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I'm guessing you are in a warm weather state.  If it is 50 outside, we usually open our windows to enjoy the fresh air.   :)    We have teens and below at night.  Not cool about the landlord not fising it properly, but congrats on paying off the bills and looking for a new house.  We just got on in December and love it!!

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Yes, I live in Florida. LOL We got down in the high 30s last night. During the day we will warm up this week, but still cold-cold at night. To top it off, DD has a cold. :-(

Quoting ScrChk23:

I'm guessing you are in a warm weather state.  If it is 50 outside, we usually open our windows to enjoy the fresh air.   :)    We have teens and below at night.  Not cool about the landlord not fising it properly, but congrats on paying off the bills and looking for a new house.  We just got on in December and love it!!

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Ah.  I am in Northern Indiana

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Yes, I live in Florida. LOL We got down in the high 30s last night. During the day we will warm up this week, but still cold-cold at night. To top it off, DD has a cold. :-(

Quoting ScrChk23:

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Thanks.. my landlord was hoping someone would be home so he could come and look at the thermastat. No luck, I have to work and SO is at work at no one will be home until after 5:30 tonight. So we settled on leaving my back door unlocked for him. (Which I really hate having to do!!)

Quoting KylesMom409:

Oh my gosh I'm sorry you're going through that! :(

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Then I can totally see why you'd have the windows wide open with our temps we're having right now. LOL I'm a wuss-puss when it comes to cold temps. How I managed 3 years in NY, I don't know.

Quoting ScrChk23:

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Quoting ScrChk23:

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Especially with the snow they are having right now!

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Then I can totally see why you'd have the windows wide open with our temps we're having right now. LOL I'm a wuss-puss when it comes to cold temps. How I managed 3 years in NY, I don't know.

Quoting ScrChk23:

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Quoting ScrChk23:

BLRiley
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM
My mom had a similar problem with her apartment heater/AC and after sending someone to supposedly "fix" it every other day for 6 months-- she demanded to get out of her lease and they put her in another unit. One maintenance guy finally told her "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but basically you need a whole new heater/AC, and they don't want to pay for it. But you didn't hear that from me." We rent too. Renting sucks sometimes. Our heater has been making HORRIBLE noises all winter. Our landlord said he'd have maintenance over but he never did. That was 2 months ago. It's still working, but we are also on the hunt for a new rental...so not sure if were gonna mess with it or just move.
BLRiley
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
We have one of those infrared heaters in our basement (where my sons room is) and it is AWESOME!! You can find them on sale right now for like $140. They are worth it bc they save on your heat bill anyway. The best thing abt them is that they are not hot to the touch. So the fire hazard is minuscule and your kids won't get burned.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Sorry you are dealing with that. It's freezing here too, but mother nature is the cause, lol. I wish the temps would stop dropping to the teens overnight and I can't wait til our highs are higher than 30 something. Brrrrr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)