Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I've been invited to a babyshower and am just wondering how much to spend. I don't know her very well but we attend the same groups (homeschool moms and events related to homeschool); I do know this is her 5th and I know the etiquette surrounding multiple baby showers, I'm not worried about that.  Do you think $20 is too cheap? Would you buy diapers too? Thanks.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
loyamom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yes $20 is plenty.  You can get some really neat stuff and stretch your dollar at Walmart or Target.  Pampers is a great idea.  I really appreciated it with my kids because you can never have enough.

Moms Helping Moms Work at Home! www.homeisgreat.com 

bouncing mom

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I think $20 is enough.

BlsdWithTwOKids
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Yes 20 is more than enough,I would just spring for a pack of diapers & a cute outfit for the baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:03 PM

$20 is fine for someone that you aren't close to.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Diapers is plenty. 

TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I ALWAYS give diapers.  Wrap them with a cute rattle or small stuffed toy on top.  I do this even for first babies.

JessO919
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I think $20-$25 is plenty to spend on a baby shower gift.  Especially if you don't know her very well.

lisahappymom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

No, a $20 gift or gift card sounds fine.  If she expects more from someone she doesn't know well, then she has issues. 

Plus, honestly, I don't believe that people always expect gifts.  One of the best things I got when my first was born was a card that said "It's amazing how something so small can make you feel so big."  It helped me more to deal with my emotional sensitivity and insecurities way more than any rattle did. 

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM

If this isn't a close friend $20 is perfectly acceptable for a present.  When I had my 4th, my aunt threw me a small shower, I mostly got money or gift certificates, but also a few little toys or whatever.  Is she registered anywhere, that's always the easiest way to go.  :)  I agree with the pp's who said gift certificate or a card with money in it.  That is always useful with a new baby.  Or if you wanted to be crafty you could make her one of those tie blankets.  My kids each have one that my cousin made them and they love them!!  They're super easy, inexpensive, cute and they don't require sewing.

hollywood74
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM

diapers is always a good idea. i like the gift baskets. a clothes basket full of baby stuff. or a popcorn can (without popcorn) family dollar or dollar general is good for those dollar items. socks t-shirts lotions baby baths bibs. 20 $ will fill one up and all that stuff comes in handy. another idea i like is a mommy gift. everybody buys for baby. a pj set with slippers for mom is nice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)