Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

"To Old" for a bachelorette party.

Someone I used to work with is getting married soon. We aren't close but we would chat during lunch sometimes and we're "friends" on facebook. Well, she posted a bunch of photo's of her bachelorette party from this past weekend, and I commented that it looked like she had fun. She messenged me and apologized for not inviting me, but she thought I might be to old to enjoy it. (It looked like it was on one of those gambling cruises)

Uh, I'm 31 lol. I wasn't expecting an invite, like I said we aren't close, but I guess I'm a little confused as to why she felt like she needed to give me an explanation.

Still, do you put an age limit on things like that? I only ask because I know people who've invited their mom's or MIL's to these events (Which seems awkward) I myself didn't have a bachelorette party, instead my husband and I took our wedding party out for a fun night together....so I was just wondering what your feelings were?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Replies (11-19):
lisahappymom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I didn't have a bachelorette party either.  I didn't want one because I got married at 35, and I'm not a big partier.  Plus, I was never comfortable with the whole party-to-give-me-gifts-that-I-could-buy-for-myself.  (I didn't have a baby shower either.)  I also liked avoiding the politics around whom to invite for those events.  

No matter what, no one should tell anyone that they are too old to enjoy something.  I guess your friends thinks that when you take your kids to Disney you should wait outside the park since you're too "old". 

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I think that's ridiculous and she maybe was embarrassed that she didn't invite you, so she made up a really stupid excuse to try to save face and instead stuck her foot in it.  Seriously, she's only 2 years younger than you.  Maybe she meant she thought you were too mature to enjoy yourself with her crowd?  Regardless, I wouldn't feel too bad about it, she obviously isn't someone you need to worry too much about.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM
You guys used to work together right? Does she know you are only 2 years older, or does she assume you are older. I know it doesn't make a difference I was just wondering.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ooCherryo0
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Haha that is strange.

I would have wrote her back saying thanks a lot. I wasn't expecting an invite but thanks for making me feel like a grandma. 

CotterpinDoozer
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I didn't bother to say anything back to her, but she knows how old I am, so I think she just panicked and stuck her foot in her mouth lol.

G2Mama
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I agree with this.  I don't think there is an age limit on these things anyway.  Maybe a lifestyle limit, like I'm at a part of my life right now that I'd rather be home with my kids and hubby than out partying.  Not to mention how crappy i'm sure I'd feel the next day...LOL

Quoting MJP76:

Sounds like she was just giving a nervous explanation, and she stuck her foot in her mouth...

Don't squat with your spurs on!

Melissacowgirl

KZuz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Maybe she meant old as in "settled down married woman with kids"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Wow that's bitchy. I'm sorry I'm a very honest person and tend to open my mouth when I shouldn't at times..but that was mean. 31 is still YOUNG to enjoy parties. Sheesh.

erikadi
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:03 AM

It does not seem to me that you would be too old for a gambling cruise. However with you being married she might feel awkward inviting you to a strip club.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN