Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

scam on craig list

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 20 Replies

has anyone heard about the scam on craig list? they show a nice car for cheap then say they want you to pay by google checkout. i seen a nice nissan for way to cheap. i researched and its a scam!!! just wanted all my cafe moms to be aware this is going on!!

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM
4 moms liked this
I wouldn't pay first. I have too physically see the car, maybe test drive it, before I hand over any money. I'm not buying a car over internet from a unfamiliar source.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM
3 moms liked this

Yep, you should never wire money.  The people should get the money when they give you the keys and title.  You would think it's a common sense type thing but no.

My parents lost 2k on a Craigslist scam like this with a boat.  I told them don't do it it, it's a scam.  My brother said it's a good deal and go for it.  They listened to him.  I have no sympathy for them.

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this
There are lots of scams on CL, probably more scams than true listings. Do your research first, as always. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

bump

MJP76
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Haven't heard of that one.. But it was on the news here in Ohio, how these two guys were running a Craigslist scam, of "selling a car" they would meet up with the potential buyer, beat and rob them. They did this for about a year before they got caught.

wifeynmommie80
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

We have purchased stuff on craigslist with no problems,  however we never pay someone unless it was cash.

mommybug77
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't go to Craig's list at all.
krise
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM

No but it is always good to double check something like that... so sad how someone tries to scam another for their money. sick.

gilbertgrl627
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Yeah, there are tons of scams on CL (never heard of that one, though). My sister was almost scammed. She listed an antique clock for $500. Someone responded (from another state) and said they'd send her a check for a little bit more because they'd have to hire movers to move the clock (a cashier's check). I told her that was a bad idea. My mom said it should be fine if it was a cashier's check. I told her it wouldn't be, because they'd send it, she'd deposit it, and after a few weeks it would come back as fake and then she'd be on the hook (even if she just cashed it, they'd need to see her DL and would come after her). I also asked why they would need movers since it was a smaller clock.

She texted them back, never got a response, and then a couple of weeks ago she got a cashier's check in the mail for $2600. lol. I told her to call the police, see if they could maybe set up a sting or something, but I guess they said they couldn't or wouldn't.

I only ever deal in cash, and would never buy something off of CL without physically inspecting it first. How much were they trying to sell it for?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN