Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bad timing

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM
  • 7 Replies
I took my car in for an oil change yesterday and found out I needed a new belt and air filter too. They were willing to just fix it but I cannot afford it until I get my tax return and told them so. I git my state tax return back today. :-/ this stuff seems to happen to me a lot. How often does stuff seem to be timed badly for you?
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MJP76
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

You should always get a second opinion... A lot of times car places will tell you something is wrong to get more money out of you. We have been told 3 consecutive years that "we should get our back breaks redone"  because there only about a quarter of the beak pad left. The first time we were told this, I had my grandfather give them a peek. My break pads were just fine. The second year, we had actually taken a long road trip so we had gotten the oil changed twice on the trip before our vacation, our break pads were low, on the return trip, they were fine...

this last year, mind you I still haven't gotten my "breaks fixed" the back ones are fine but the front ones need replaced.. Huh.. Must be magic.

always get a second opinion. :)

wifeynmommie80
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Get a 2nd opinion, I remember them always saying that to me, just for the xtra bucks.

JessO919
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I take my car to my local mechanic. I trust him. He isn't typically one to tell you there is something wrong with your car unless there really is. Thanks for the advice though!
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM

when does a large bill ever come at a good time ?   This is very typical for me, I'll have some extra cash to play with , I spend it, then comes a huge un-expected expense, always.

lisahappymom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Oh, gosh.  When it rains it pours!  At least you have your tax return to pay for it.  I know that's not much consolation, but at least it's better than not having the $$ at all.  

Briesmom38
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

It's Murphy's Law!

I've been there I know.  I just had to replace my two front tires, because out of the blue I had an issue with the driver's side tire.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:23 PM

It always seems that whenever we get a little bit of spending money (tax return, 3 paycheck month, etc.) there is something that needs attention.  The Volvo we had before this car always needed something done to it.  I love my car, it never needs anything expensive.  It's new enough that I don't have to constantly take it in.  We are probably going to get new tires with this tax return, but that's the first real expense, other than monthly payments, we've had with it since we bought it 3 years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)