Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

News from my doc...hysterectomy at 36.

Posted by   + Show Post

Seems like I've exhausted my options, and my doctor is recommending a hysterectomy.  I'm having a terrible time understanding my sudden feelings on this because it's what I've been expecting to hear for a while now.....and I haven't been terribly distraught over it.  I'm done having babies (my youngest is 10 1/2 and I'm almost 37), they aren't taking my ovaries because they say I'm too young, and it's the option that will solve my medical issues.  So, I'm trying to figure out why I'm so freaked out all the sudden.  All I can think about is the permanence, and what if something goes wrong?

Have any of you ladies had a hysterectomy?  Any advice on the subject?  Anything that can talk me down a bit?! surprise mini

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
Red_Kitten
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm really sorry to hear things haven't gone so well since your surgery (my doc is recommending the same....taking my uterus and cervix but leaving my ovaries).  And ironically, your story does make me feel a little better in a way.  I really don't want to go into this thinking everything is going to be puppies and rainbows when I'm all done and then be totally devastated if it's not.  So, I think it's just about being armed with all the info I can get....thanks for sharing and best of luck to you!

Quoting MJP76:

Yeah I had one in April of 2010. I was 34. Don't expect it to fix your problems (depending on what your issues are). Be hopeful, but don't expect it, that way if it does fix your problems you will be pleasantly surprised. They took my uterus and my cervix, but left my ovaries.

the only problem it fixed for me is I no longer have heavy painful periods. Sex is still painful, and I still have to take birth control pills to control my PMDD, also I still get ovarian cysts, on a regular basis. I begged them to remove my ovaries and they also refused because of my age.. If they would have removed my ovaries, two more of those issues would have disappeared. 

He told me "if the problems just don't go away with the hysterectomy, we can always go back in and take the ovaries, but that surgery and recovery from is no cup of tea. So, no.. I don't want to go through it again.. *sigh*

also, my sex drive has been pretty close to zero since my hysterectomy...which is so strange to me, I've always been a very sexual person.. It kills me that I mostly want nothing to do with sex.

im sorry... My testimonial probably sucks, and isn't helping you at all.

Red_Kitten
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I'm glad to know there are some stories like this. Thanks!  I told my husband I'm buying period supplies in the lowest quantities possible between now and surgery!

Quoting skippito:

I have not had one myself but my younger sis has. She felt the same way. Although she was done having children the thought that now she couldn't really upset her. She went ahead with the surgery which solved her medical issues also and found once it was done she felt better than she thought. It's normal to be scared, it's a major surgery!!!!! Think of the benefit it will bring, and end to your medical issue. My sister is REALLY happy she did and she doesn't have a period anymore which she couldn't be happier about!

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
This. I was 35... two yrs ago. I am so much happier now and can finally function normally without hemorrhaging for 7 days a month. I fought it for years and tried every hormone possible. But all it did was make me an emotional hormonal bitch. I kept my ovaries and no more hormonal BC.... my sex drive is higher than ever (and of course I am single lol).
OP: what you are feeling is normal. A lot of woman associate being able to become preg and even periods with being woman. It's like you are taking part of who you are away. But you need to focus on the positive and being able to be free of the medical issues. I had vaginal hysterectomy and healed pretty quickly.

Quoting grneyedormom:

I had one at 35 and felt nothing but relief over not having to worry about developing uterine cancer or dealing with insanely long, heavy periods anymore. I had my uterus and cervix removed and my ovaries are still intact. I've had no issues with my sex drive, in fact it's finally what I consider to be normal for me at 36. (For the other poster who said its not, you said you were still on birth control? That could be why your libido is low, are you on a low estrogen dose birth control pill?) I'm so much happier now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Red_Kitten
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM

They weren't actually!  The only surgery I've ever had was having my tubes tied after my second child.  I remember being really surprised at how bad I felt after. The incision was so small, I guess I thought I was going to be bouncing around as soon as it was over!  Thankfully, I have a really supportive husband and plenty of friends and family to help.  Although, I'm the cook around our house so I'm worried about feeding them all. LOL....I'm almost amused that this is near the top of my 'concerns' list.

Quoting ScrChk23:

I think you are feeling that because it is now a reality that the surgery will happen. It is a major surgery. Routine for doctors, but still major. Were any of your kids delivered via c section?

Red_Kitten
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM

The doc said we are doing the vaginal one, too! How long did it take you to get up and around?

And thank you soooo much for your kind words.  I just recently came off of Mirena and that was a TOTAL nightmare.....talk about hormonal!  I've been having really heavy periods twice a month for years now, and I'm anemic and exhausted all the time, so truly....I'm kind of looking forward to getting past all that. But as soon as he said hysterectomy, I started having baby dreams and I was just totally caught off guard by that!  Just tell me it goes away and I'll be fine!

Quoting conniejo75:

This. I was 35... two yrs ago. I am so much happier now and can finally function normally without hemorrhaging for 7 days a month. I fought it for years and tried every hormone possible. But all it did was make me an emotional hormonal bitch. I kept my ovaries and no more hormonal BC.... my sex drive is higher than ever (and of course I am single lol).
OP: what you are feeling is normal. A lot of woman associate being able to become preg and even periods with being woman. It's like you are taking part of who you are away. But you need to focus on the positive and being able to be free of the medical issues. I had vaginal hysterectomy and healed pretty quickly.

Quoting grneyedormom:

I had one at 35 and felt nothing but relief over not having to worry about developing uterine cancer or dealing with insanely long, heavy periods anymore. I had my uterus and cervix removed and my ovaries are still intact. I've had no issues with my sex drive, in fact it's finally what I consider to be normal for me at 36. (For the other poster who said its not, you said you were still on birth control? That could be why your libido is low, are you on a low estrogen dose birth control pill?) I'm so much happier now.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Yup tried Mirena too. And then had 25 days of periods... just light. Had it taken out and I started hemorrhaging the first period after again. Anyway.... it is amazing the things we go through. I actually had 4 miscarriages trying for one last shot at another child... and I finally felt it was ok to just let go and be me. It was not easy. But I am so much happier now and looking forward to being the favorite grandma :) someday.
I was up walking that night.... not far from the bed but they want u up asap. The first week sucked but walking a little more every day helped. By 2 weeks I felt normal but my body would remind me if I overdid it and it would make me rest for a day. From experience it was about 4 weeks before i was 100% but i was out of work for 6 weeks. My cousin and a friend went back to work after 4 weeks but to me that was too soon.

Quoting Red_Kitten:

The doc said we are doing the vaginal one, too! How long did it take you to get up and around?

And thank you soooo much for your kind words.  I just recently came off of Mirena and that was a TOTAL nightmare.....talk about hormonal!  I've been having really heavy periods twice a month for years now, and I'm anemic and exhausted all the time, so truly....I'm kind of looking forward to getting past all that. But as soon as he said hysterectomy, I started having baby dreams and I was just totally caught off guard by that!  Just tell me it goes away and I'll be fine!

Quoting conniejo75:

Quoting grneyedormom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Are you getting it done laperscopically with vaginal assist?

Quoting Red_Kitten:

I'm really sorry to hear things haven't gone so well since your surgery (my doc is recommending the same....taking my uterus and cervix but leaving my ovaries).  And ironically, your story does make me feel a little better in a way.  I really don't want to go into this thinking everything is going to be puppies and rainbows when I'm all done and then be totally devastated if it's not.  So, I think it's just about being armed with all the info I can get....thanks for sharing and best of luck to you!

Quoting MJP76:

Yeah I had one in April of 2010. I was 34. Don't expect it to fix your problems (depending on what your issues are). Be hopeful, but don't expect it, that way if it does fix your problems you will be pleasantly surprised. They took my uterus and my cervix, but left my ovaries.

the only problem it fixed for me is I no longer have heavy painful periods. Sex is still painful, and I still have to take birth control pills to control my PMDD, also I still get ovarian cysts, on a regular basis. I begged them to remove my ovaries and they also refused because of my age.. If they would have removed my ovaries, two more of those issues would have disappeared. 

He told me "if the problems just don't go away with the hysterectomy, we can always go back in and take the ovaries, but that surgery and recovery from is no cup of tea. So, no.. I don't want to go through it again.. *sigh*

also, my sex drive has been pretty close to zero since my hysterectomy...which is so strange to me, I've always been a very sexual person.. It kills me that I mostly want nothing to do with sex.

im sorry... My testimonial probably sucks, and isn't helping you at all.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Make sure you stock up on cereal, hot dogs, and mac n cheese.  They'll be fine!  :)

Quoting Red_Kitten:

They weren't actually!  The only surgery I've ever had was having my tubes tied after my second child.  I remember being really surprised at how bad I felt after. The incision was so small, I guess I thought I was going to be bouncing around as soon as it was over!  Thankfully, I have a really supportive husband and plenty of friends and family to help.  Although, I'm the cook around our house so I'm worried about feeding them all. LOL....I'm almost amused that this is near the top of my 'concerns' list.

Quoting ScrChk23:

I think you are feeling that because it is now a reality that the surgery will happen. It is a major surgery. Routine for doctors, but still major. Were any of your kids delivered via c section?

Red_Kitten
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Fully vaginal hysterectomy. He said it will be the best recovery time, and I have 5 kiddos (a blended family) so I really don't have time for surgery in the first place! :-)

Quoting MJP76:

Are you getting it done laperscopically with vaginal assist?

Red_Kitten
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM

LOL, that's a really great idea!  Time for a Costco trip, I guess.  I am really thankful to have fairly self sufficient kids (and hubby, too).

Quoting ScrChk23:

Make sure you stock up on cereal, hot dogs, and mac n cheese.  They'll be fine!  :)

Quoting Red_Kitten:

Quoting ScrChk23:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN