Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

News from my doc...hysterectomy at 36.

Posted by   + Show Post

Seems like I've exhausted my options, and my doctor is recommending a hysterectomy.  I'm having a terrible time understanding my sudden feelings on this because it's what I've been expecting to hear for a while now.....and I haven't been terribly distraught over it.  I'm done having babies (my youngest is 10 1/2 and I'm almost 37), they aren't taking my ovaries because they say I'm too young, and it's the option that will solve my medical issues.  So, I'm trying to figure out why I'm so freaked out all the sudden.  All I can think about is the permanence, and what if something goes wrong?

Have any of you ladies had a hysterectomy?  Any advice on the subject?  Anything that can talk me down a bit?! surprise mini

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
LaughingTattoo
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I havnt had one yet but after I have this baby, I will be having a full hysterectomy due to recurring cervical dysplasia. My feelings are all over the place. Im 31.

MJP76
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Huh. Interesting. That wasn't even given to me as an option. They still had to go through three small spots in my belly. Recovery time was about 3 weeks for that...

good luck!

Quoting Red_Kitten:

Fully vaginal hysterectomy. He said it will be the best recovery time, and I have 5 kiddos (a blended family) so I really don't have time for surgery in the first place! :-)

Quoting MJP76:

Are you getting it done laperscopically with vaginal assist?

Red_Kitten
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I can't believe how many people I know just love Mirena....I hated every minute of it, and all you have to do is Google it to get tons of stories like yours and mine.  My husband jokingly told me last night that he's glad to have me back.  I guess it's just to the point where we have to appreciate the blessings we DO have...which is sometimes a lot of work!

Quoting conniejo75:

Yup tried Mirena too. And then had 25 days of periods... just light. Had it taken out and I started hemorrhaging the first period after again. Anyway.... it is amazing the things we go through. I actually had 4 miscarriages trying for one last shot at another child... and I finally felt it was ok to just let go and be me. It was not easy. But I am so much happier now and looking forward to being the favorite grandma :) someday.
I was up walking that night.... not far from the bed but they want u up asap. The first week sucked but walking a little more every day helped. By 2 weeks I felt normal but my body would remind me if I overdid it and it would make me rest for a day. From experience it was about 4 weeks before i was 100% but i was out of work for 6 weeks. My cousin and a friend went back to work after 4 weeks but to me that was too soon.

PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Why does the doctor say you need a hysterectomy?

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Not everyone is a good candidate. My sister had to have incision due to having previous abdominal surgies (c section) / laporscopic was a possibility for me since my uterus was tilted but he was able to do fully vag

Quoting MJP76:

Huh. Interesting. That wasn't even given to me as an option. They still had to go through three small spots in my belly. Recovery time was about 3 weeks for that...

good luck!

Quoting Red_Kitten:

Fully vaginal hysterectomy. He said it will be the best recovery time, and I have 5 kiddos (a blended family) so I really don't have time for surgery in the first place! :-)

Quoting MJP76:

Are you getting it done laperscopically with vaginal assist?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Red_Kitten
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM

It boils down to severe, frequent bleeding that is getting increasingly worse.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Do you have fibroids?  There are a couple of things you can try naturally first if you are willing.  If there are fibroids causing the bleeding, you need iodine.  Also, high doses of natural vitamin A has halted heavy bleeding.  Have you always had heavy periods?  Have you been tested for bleeding disorders like von wilebrands?  

Quoting Red_Kitten:

It boils down to severe, frequent bleeding that is getting increasingly worse.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Same here and it worked wonders for her. She was 35 when she had it done. Hugs to you and best wishes with everything.

Quoting ScrChk23:

I have not, but my mom did.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
leslie0621
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I have mine scheduled for the 14th of March...I am 35.  I am nervous...but at ease since my baby making days are over (tubal right after the last one who is now 5)  I have questions about how I will feel afterwards...and how sex will be...but I know my husband loves me no matter what...and that there is a really GOOD chance that this will solve my issues.  I was given other options, but didn't want to take hormones, and didn't want to have to have a hysterectomy in a few years if the Thermal Ablasion didn't work.  Good luck!!

Red_Kitten
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Funny....my doctor's office just called this week and mine is now scheduled for April 18th. :-D  Our stories are awfully similar, I had a tubal after my youngest, too.  She's 11 now.  And I'm with you on the hormones and the ablation.  After the Mirena nightmare I just had, I don't want to 'try' anything else that will likely be temporary.  Some people might say that's negative thinking, but I've been dealing with this for over 10 years now, I'm totally ready!  Good luck to you, feel free to message me if you want to chat about it! :-)

Quoting leslie0621:

I have mine scheduled for the 14th of March...I am 35.  I am nervous...but at ease since my baby making days are over (tubal right after the last one who is now 5)  I have questions about how I will feel afterwards...and how sex will be...but I know my husband loves me no matter what...and that there is a really GOOD chance that this will solve my issues.  I was given other options, but didn't want to take hormones, and didn't want to have to have a hysterectomy in a few years if the Thermal Ablasion didn't work.  Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN