Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News from my doc...hysterectomy at 36.

Posted by   + Show Post

Seems like I've exhausted my options, and my doctor is recommending a hysterectomy.  I'm having a terrible time understanding my sudden feelings on this because it's what I've been expecting to hear for a while now.....and I haven't been terribly distraught over it.  I'm done having babies (my youngest is 10 1/2 and I'm almost 37), they aren't taking my ovaries because they say I'm too young, and it's the option that will solve my medical issues.  So, I'm trying to figure out why I'm so freaked out all the sudden.  All I can think about is the permanence, and what if something goes wrong?

Have any of you ladies had a hysterectomy?  Any advice on the subject?  Anything that can talk me down a bit?! surprise mini

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Replies (31-34):
Red_Kitten
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I had to come back and reply to this....my doctors office called this week to schedule the surgery and after a discussion with my doctor, turns out I will have to have the laproscopic assist now because of my fallopian tubes. They may have to come out due to the style of tubal ligation I had years ago, but he has to do the laproscopic even to check them.  So, there you go.  I guess it all depends on what they need to do in there! :-)

Quoting MJP76:

Huh. Interesting. That wasn't even given to me as an option. They still had to go through three small spots in my belly. Recovery time was about 3 weeks for that...

good luck!

Quoting Red_Kitten:

Fully vaginal hysterectomy. He said it will be the best recovery time, and I have 5 kiddos (a blended family) so I really don't have time for surgery in the first place! :-)

Quoting MJP76:

Are you getting it done laperscopically with vaginal assist?

Hafsa1
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM
My mom just had it done around july of last year. Her abdominal pain has stopped, so that is a relief for her (this is why she had the surgery), but she did have complications as the doctor hit her kidney while removing things, which caused additional surgeries. Now she is all healed, and thankful that she is done with that. Both of my grandmas had it and they had no complications. Just try to not do too much afterwards or you can end up back in the hospital.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM
I know a few thst the ablasion did not work and even my Dr said there was a chance it would not work for me either. I couldnt afford to end up needing 2 procedures so I went with the one I KNEW would work.
As for sex after hysterectomy my sex drive increased and i love not having to worry about BC... I kept my ovaries so my hormones are still normal so think that helps. I had tried hormones for about 3 months prior to surgery and I was so bitchy and moody with zero sex drive. I hated it. I finally feel like a normal 30 something woman.

Quoting leslie0621:

I have mine scheduled for the 14th of March...I am 35.  I am nervous...but at ease since my baby making days are over (tubal right after the last one who is now 5)  I have questions about how I will feel afterwards...and how sex will be...but I know my husband loves me no matter what...and that there is a really GOOD chance that this will solve my issues.  I was given other options, but didn't want to take hormones, and didn't want to have to have a hysterectomy in a few years if the Thermal Ablasion didn't work.  Good luck!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Well I wish you much luck and a fast recovery! :)

Quoting Red_Kitten:

I had to come back and reply to this....my doctors office called this week to schedule the surgery and after a discussion with my doctor, turns out I will have to have the laproscopic assist now because of my fallopian tubes. They may have to come out due to the style of tubal ligation I had years ago, but he has to do the laproscopic even to check them.  So, there you go.  I guess it all depends on what they need to do in there! :-)

Quoting MJP76:

Huh. Interesting. That wasn't even given to me as an option. They still had to go through three small spots in my belly. Recovery time was about 3 weeks for that...

good luck!

Quoting Red_Kitten:

Fully vaginal hysterectomy. He said it will be the best recovery time, and I have 5 kiddos (a blended family) so I really don't have time for surgery in the first place! :-)

Quoting MJP76:

Are you getting it done laperscopically with vaginal assist?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)