Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I want to workout!

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hi ladies-

I have 3 young children under the age of three and a full time job, and I feel like it is totally impossible to get a workout in. My hubby and I work opposite hours, so he is sleeping while the kids and I are awake.

I know how much happier and more balanced I am when I am able to exercise, but I just don't know how to fit it in. My 3 year old no longer takes naps and the two babies nap at different times, so there isn't a time during the day when I am not busy with at least one kid.

How do you busy moms do it?

Thanks!! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you work from home?  I would just stick them all in the same room with you and do an exercise dvd.  I do that with mine and they will join in sometimes and other times they play with something else.  I mean, just do it...lol  I have a hard time with the motivation, but you can do it with the kids in there with you.  You might have to stop once or twice, but if it's a home dvd...you can start it up again.  I got them an exercise dvd and sometimes we play a kinect game together.  My 2 year old loves Fruit Ninja...lol

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Work out from home!

Either in the morning or at night or if you can, put them all in the same room.  I work full-time and since having DD, I can't get to the gym.  So, I make her part of my workouts.  I do TurboJam and she's in the room with me and has fun trying to do it too.  It's great because I get my workout in but I'm doing it at my own pace so if I have to stop, I can and just continue.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

it's not easy ... I do  mother-daughter taek won do every Tuesday.  The Little Gym also has classes that combine moms & babies - We also go for walks as a family.  When I was a single mom I did aqua-aerobics and asked special permission from the instructor, I would bring her with me she stayed in the shallow end and I did my class in the deeper end.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Also inquire with your local gym ; lots of them have daycare services now free with your membership !

storkradio193
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I try and use our elliptical machine right after bedtime in the evening.  It requires letting other things go, but it's worth the 30 minutes.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

import1a92
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I always involve my DD in with my workouts unless I am offered to go workout with my friends at their gyms. My 4 year old DD loves dancing and singing, so that is what we do as a routine for an hour in the living room most mornings to work up a sweat and get some good cardio in. She's into 311, Taylor Swift and David Guetta mixes, so the music has some good beats to follow along to. When I do pilates, I offer her to do the same exercises I do. If I am on my elliptical, I put on a Disney movie or her fave show for her to watch and I watch it with her to pass the time. Push ups and sit ups have been more challenging to do with her, but she lays on the floor along side me and we try to out do each other. LOL! During the warmer months when we can escape outside we go swimming, take walks, play basketball, jump rope together, ride bikes, etc... The key for us is to always remain active. Not only is it good for us, but it is good for them as well and they learn the lifestyle. You make time and make a routine of it. We even manage to involve some cardio while we are doing household chores, like running up and down the stairs a few times a day, chair exercises, broom twists etc... 

When DD was your kids age, me or DH would put her in the stroller and go for walks/jogging for an hour. Once she started wanting to be out of the stroller we walked/jogged beside her while she rode her tike, mini motorized car, skates, scooter, etc... We struggled a bit when she was potty training for a year and said she had to pee (exaggerating) every 5 minutes, but once that was done and we figured out a way to work around her, we were able to get our workouts in without her interfering. I think at one point for a few months, we brought the portable potty with us in the stroller... 

If all else fails, get creative! 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I work out to dvd's at home. It's a little easier to squeeze in and I don't have to go anywhere. I have also exercised during commercial breaks on tv, when they're one I will march, do jumping jacks, walk/jog in place, do crunches/plank, etc. My kids think it's hysterical and a litlle kooky but it's a good way to squeeze it in :)

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I do pretty much anything for ME after my dd is in bed for the night.  It's the only time that I have uninterrupted time to do what I want.

ShelbysHope76
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I really want to, would like to during my lunch break at work, but.....

taevismom
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:07 AM
I found working I out first thing in the AM before work works best for my family's schedule. I picked up a cheap treadmill and run for 30 minutes during the week. It's not a lot but it's enough to keep me sane.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)