Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Old is too Old to be a Student?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm going to be 35 and I'm considering going to dental school and then proceeding with my Dental Radiology certification. I'm a single mom, I know I will qualify for assistance. I didn't go to college, I went to Medical Assisting school after high school, but due to my health problems and failing my hearing test-obviousy pursuing RN is a dead dream to me now because if I can't hear then I can't correctly take your vitals :( My son's father & I took real estate courses 7 years ago but didn't take the state exam..I feel like I'm ready to go back to school but I'm all sorts of nervous about it! I had an appt. this morning to talk to counselor but I woke up with a sore throat so reschedule for next week!

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Replies (11-20):
mylifemylove864
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Never. You should never stop learning.
And people go to school at all different stages of life
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I read an article not long ago about a 48 year old who was in his second year of med school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Never too old. I know some people feel awkward being the oldest in the class, but you really shouldn't feel that way! My brother dropped out of university in second year, actually I think he might have got kicked cause he was failing left right and centre... and then went back when he was 28. He graduated 4 years later with the second highest GPA in the class. Sometimes it's better to be in school when you are serious!

BLRiley
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this
You're NEVER too old!! Do it!! I also went to MA school, and then went back to get my BSEd in elementary education. I just graduated last year (I'm 32). I love school. If I could afford to be a student forever, I would!
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

You are never too old to be a student.  :)  Go for it!

Brooked18
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
My dad just got his masters and he is 56
cookin_mama665
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

You're too old when you cannot see the words in the books or start having trouble remembering things.  Until then, you're never too old.

lisahappymom
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for your post!  I am big believer in the value of education, and I have really enjoyed reading everyone's inspirational experiences and stories!    :-)

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

There is no such thing as to old. I am right there with ya . I am hoping to go back to school myself eventually. Maybe you can start by taking some generals online. Start with one or two classes and go from there. This elimates the extra stress of physically going.

HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Never to late. My grandmother got her GED in her late 60's. I got my Masters at 26 and was the youngest in the class and when I got my accounting certificate my best friend in class was 50. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)