Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How Old is too Old to be a Student?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm going to be 35 and I'm considering going to dental school and then proceeding with my Dental Radiology certification. I'm a single mom, I know I will qualify for assistance. I didn't go to college, I went to Medical Assisting school after high school, but due to my health problems and failing my hearing test-obviousy pursuing RN is a dead dream to me now because if I can't hear then I can't correctly take your vitals :( My son's father & I took real estate courses 7 years ago but didn't take the state exam..I feel like I'm ready to go back to school but I'm all sorts of nervous about it! I had an appt. this morning to talk to counselor but I woke up with a sore throat so reschedule for next week!

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
Looneyfarmmom
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Never. Simple answer and true. There has been students in their 80's and 90's. Do what you want to do. Age shouldn't be the first thought about a new life. 

mamalusbear
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You're never too old to want to better yourself.  Good for you and best of luck in dental school.

BeachMommy07
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Quoting c_edmonds:

Im not trying to be funny but you are too old when you are dead.

Im 33 and Im going back in May for my bach. in business. I have 4 kids. Im trying to get my sister to take her ged and she is 40...but she is kinda LAZY she wants everything handed to her on a silver platter.

Im PROUD of you for going back! And I dont even know you!

Thank you! It seems like most of you are college graduated. That's awesome!

Mantidae
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

There is no such thing as too old for school! I can't wait for the day when I can go back to college! Every few weeks I troll for programs I might be able to fit in around my work schedule. As soon as DH finishes the Masters program he's in, I think I'm going to go for it.

I plan to keep going back to college for the rest of my life. Every chance I get. I LOVE it.

I'm a tree-hugging, breastfeeding, non-circing, vaxing, co-sleeping/bed-sharing, ethical eating, semi-vegetarian, home-birthing, Pagan, Unitarian Universalist, pro-choice, cloth diapering, Scorpio, feminist, half-Canadian, animal activist mommy to one clever little girl (9), the cutest little boy ever born (2), two mischevious rescue mutts (fixed), and an attention starved rescue kitty (also fixed).  Married to my own personal MacGyver.

Marine. Lawyer. Mommy. Wife. 
Making Sustainability Work in Busy, Everyday Life.
Urban Earthworm

dearg76
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM

My husband is 40 and should be graduating next year. I agree its never too late

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I don't think you are ever too old. I'm 31 and will be heading to college in the next few years. 

January1964
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM

It's never too late to learn. Besides, you'll age whether or not you are a student, so you may as well be one. Good luck!

TugBoatMama
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/LifeStages/story?id=3167970

Can't make it clicky but she graduated at 95.

Jessica45
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
You're never to old. My mom never went to college but always wanted a degree. When I was in high school she started school part time, very part time. One class because she still worked full time and had me & my Sis & house to take care of.
She's a VP at Citibank, Grandma to 3 girls, wife, mommy and student! She's still trying to get her bachelor's in business administration or business management. I dont remember which one. It's taking time but she's got a 4.0 gpa and is doing great. She'll be graduating soon! Can't wait for her graduation day!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pampire
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Dead is too old for school.  If you are still drawing breath, then you can absorb knowledge.  good luck!

graduate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN