Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Far Away Family

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM
  • 36 Replies

My parents were just in town for a long weekend and it was so WONDERFUL! They are so great with my 13 month old daughter. They babysat a few times, and played with her constantly. I wish they didn't live so far away (6.5 hours), and I wish we could see them more often. She's their only grandchild, and I know it's hard on them too. I've just been feeling really lonely this afternoon since they left. We skype every Sunday morning to keep in touch, but it's not the same. I feel sad for my parents, and for my daughter because they love each other so much. I know there are lots of people out there going through the same things.....

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I don't know what I would do without the help of my family. Both my famiy and my in laws live within 15 minutes of us. We are all close knit. 

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

When I had my daughter I lived in AZ, she's my parents only grandchild and they lived in NJ, so it was really tuff.  I ended up moving back to NJ right before my dd turned 2, the best decision I ever made.  Not only was I able to start over, (I got a divorce), I met my SO and my parents got to be around their only granddaughter all of the time.  My mom passed away a little over a year ago, and I am so happy that she was able to be with her granddaughter for those years.  

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

MarylandMom123
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Wow! Glad that you were able to move back and have that special time with your mom. Unfortunately we wouldn't know where to move to be closer to family...my parents are 6.5 hours away in NY, and my husband's family is 7 hours away in MA! I wish they would all move here haha.

Quoting Briesmom38:

When I had my daughter I lived in AZ, she's my parents only grandchild and they lived in NJ, so it was really tuff.  I ended up moving back to NJ right before my dd turned 2, the best decision I ever made.  Not only was I able to start over, (I got a divorce), I met my SO and my parents got to be around their only granddaughter all of the time.  My mom passed away a little over a year ago, and I am so happy that she was able to be with her granddaughter for those years.  

TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:58 AM

We have always been close with our parents.  They were all HUGE helps with the kids.....and spent time with the kids often (we all lived in the same city).  But, now we live halfway around the world.  We talk on the phone and Skype...and we will occasionally visit them and, hopefully, they will occasionally visit us.  Leaving family behind was the HARDEST thing ever....especially leaving DD#1 who is completing college and has already been offered a full time job after graduation in May.  But, we had to do what was best/right for us.

Nerys-Kianna
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I understand and know your pain. My parents live in Germany and haven't met our newest addition yet. The only way we can keep contact is via phone and letters.
My Inlaws from Alaska were just here over X-Mas and it felt so good to have Family close by. Can't wait for them to move in the 8 hour driving range. It's doable and I made the trip once alone with 2 kids to visit my MIL at her parents house.

BLRiley
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM
We also live far away from any family at all (across the U.S.). I have a 15 yo, a 5 yo, and a new baby due in August. It IS dang hard. I HATE grandparents day at school!!!!! It is a sad day for me and my kids and is rather jut not send them to school at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MinglingMom
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I know what you mean. My in-laws are so great with LO (who is 2 months) and helped me out a lot while DH was out of town for work. They live 6 hours away. My mom has only seen her once and she live 12 hours away and my dad lives 4 horus away. I do have some other family close by that I am really close with but I am sad that all of the first time grandparents (mine and DH's parents) can't be closer.

Hafsa1
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM
My mom lives in NY and my dad in NM....we are in MI. It is hard sometimes, I went a few months ago on a last minute trip to see my mom because I missed them. She was so shocked when we walked in that she couldn't control herself and knocked ds over trying to hug him lol. Dh's parents live in another country so it's even harder for him. His father just passed away yesterday morning as dh was on a plane to see him :( I think he's going to want to bring his mom back with him but I don't think she'll come.
G2Mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I am sorry.  I can't imagine how tough that is.  My family lives next door, my kids are the 10th generation to live on this farm so I count my blessings.

LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I know exactly how you feel. My family lives in California and I moved to Pennsylvania 12yrs ago. It's extremely hard especially when my Father passed away 3 yrs ago. My Hubby was a Sweety and allowed me to fly out to see him a month before he passed for 2 weeks. Since the funeral I have yet to go back to CA but my family has come out to PA. My older sis lives in NY, her and I are the only 2 with kids. My 2 brothers both still live in CA with my Mom but my Oldest Bro never had kids and my little bro still has yet to get married.

Luckily the end of June we are flying out to CA for a full week and I am so excited to be going back I want to visit my Dads grave along with my Grandparents and nephews. Also need to make plans with all my friends I haven't seen in 3 yrs. it's a struggle not to have my own family around and is very lonesome at times but as years go on you manage.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)