Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

at what age

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 62 Replies
Hi ladies.

At what age would u allow your daughter to start shaving her legs
I have an 8yr old and she keeps bugging me to let her shave. I think she is too young at the moment. Yes her legs r hairy but i dont think they r that bad. So just wondering at what age did u let your daughter shave?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kara242
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

6th grade! my 10yr old got an electric razor for xmas that was our compromise

DragonMother10
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM
I don't have a daughter, but I asked my mom when I was 9 and she said yes and got me razors. I got my period when I was 10.
Looneyfarmmom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I was that old when I started shaving. LOL I see nothing wrong with shaving as long as you teach her how to. It was more embarrassing for me to have hairy armpits and legs in gym class. 

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I was shaving at that age. No girls here either. My mom allowed it because my legs where so hairy kids where calling me ape legs and monkey girl. 

virgochild79
by Nia on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Well, it looks like my daughter is taking after me with not having hair on her legs, she's 10 so, this may not even be an issue for us! :-D

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I started in 6th grade.

My daughter is 2 1/2 so we haven't came to that point yet :)

Jen4boys06
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I started in 6th grade.  My neice is in 4th grade and is shaving hers.

mommymom1284
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I was about that age when I started.  Maybe get her the bladeless razors if you aren't comfortable with her using a real one.

stellermom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I think its stoo young - but then again I am slightly old fashioned. My 12yo still does not shave her legs. She is not really a "hairy" girl, so maybe that is it. She did this year however, express her concern to shave her armpits this year - but razors do not set well with me. I gave her a small pair of hair/neck trimmers like I use at work for that area. As for shaving her legs, I suppose, knowing how kids are, I will wait her out - but I imagine, even though I still consider 12 too young, I will cave and allow it. I figure its coming soon.

No way, though would I have even considered it at 8 yo. but thats just me. Of course, if she is a dancer, comp. cheering, etc, I could lso see the need to allow it for the sake of image. I'm sure, though, you'll make the right decision for your family - reguardless of what the world's decidion is :) Only you can judge her maturity and responsibility in this area

wedding countdown

tanper29
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. I do have some concern about her shaving at 8. I was fairly young when i started shaving. I think i was 10. I guess my major concern is her keeping up with it. A friend suggedted that maybe i let her veet her legs. So i guess there is that option.
Ill keep thinking it over.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)