Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What would you do if a teacher did this to your child.

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 14 Replies

My 9 year old son was talking during a lockdown drill.  He got a slight mark down on his behavior chart for it.  He had a hard time telling me what he did wrong.  He finally told me that she said that he hopes my husband and I punish him for it.  We've had trouble with her before.  He is always telling us she hates him.  We know some other parents who have had kids come home crying because of her.  I sent an email to her and sent a copy to the principal.  I just had a meeting with them not too long ago.  What do I do?

Well, I got more of the story.  His friend said that he was talking to my son.  My son was shushing him to be quiet so he could listen.

love makes the world go round
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Boys9501
by Sharon on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I see nothing wrong with her saying he needs to be punished. If she has said she hates him why not switch teachers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell the principal again.  Keep reporting it.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

MommyAddie
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think that would bother me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chris030406
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Your kid was talking when he wasn't supposed to. Not seeing what she did wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, she did what she needs to in terms of discipline during a lockdown drill.  I would also feel like I wasn't getting the whole story.  There can be a lot of word twisting between teacher and student.  Yes, even at that age.  I would just bring up your concern so that it can be documented, but I would make sure you get both sides of the story.

tanper29
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I think she used a poor choice of words. Ur son should not be talking during a drill. He and others could end up missing key information that could be the difference between life or death. I dont see she did anything wrong except her poor choice of words.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I can see why he got the mark on his behavior chart~ if the direction was to be quiet during the lock down he didn't follow the directions.

I work in a high school and we've changed our lock down procedure since Sandy Hook. Our students now have to go to a specific location in our class room and everyone needs to be quiet during the lockdown. That way if an intruder was actually in the building it would appear that the classroom was empty.

I can relate to having a child that has a bad school year b/c he and the teacher just don't mesh. My second grader went through it last year. It was terrible~ he hated school because of her and he wasn't meeting benchmarks because he was terrified of her. Thankfully he has a wonderful teacher this year that I requested and has had no problems with meeting benchmarks. He loves school this year. I will just have to request specific teachers until he is out of the K-3 building.

goddess829
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I understand why he got the mark down.  IT IS NOT OKAY to talk durning a lockdown drill.  My problem is that she seems to take delight in him getting in trouble.  The way she said it to him really upset him.  I'm just not sure if it is appropriate for a teacher to speak to a student that way.

love makes the world go round
AndOne
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I would clarify with the teacher before getting upset. I would talk to my son to find out why he was talking during the lockdown drill and review what he should be doing. We don't use punishments at all, so if a teacher told my son she hoped that we would punish him, my son would probably tell her that his parents don't punish him, we discuss things with him and plan for the future.

I'm sorry your son is having a difficult teacher, but this may be a case of things getting lost in translation. There is nothing wrong with reassuring your son that no matter what you are there for him to talk to, but don't make the teacher out to be the bad guy. I think that creates more trouble. She may really be awful, but you need to know for sure. Have you volunteered in the classroom?

five2many74
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I think the teacher was out of line. Lockdowns dont mean that learning stops..and how else is a child to learn?? How come the teacher didnt provide quiet time activities? How come she didnt explain what was going on and take questions? I dislike when teachers leave it to children to entertain themselves yet when they do they get upset. As a parent I would sit in on the class with other parents to observe. Then I would show her how is done. Apparently she needs to take some anger management classes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN