Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

teenage drivers

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:27 AM
  • 43 Replies
Do you think teenagers should be allowed to drive? I do not. I'm talking under 18 btw.
I was at school today and I overheard a group of teens going on and on about how terrible it is that they have to have auto insurance to drive. They said it's not going to do anything for them because they are under age and nobody can try to make them pay bills. They said it wouldn't make them drive slower or actually follow the laws. It's more fun to speed and go around anyone who gets in their way especially around blind corners.
Yet we give these kids permission to drive.
Imo our society gives teens way too much and expects way too little in return. You have to give them freedom they say but oh, they are only teenagers and can't be held responsible for their actions. What a disservice.
I applaud those of you with teens who actually expect them to earn things like the privilege of driving and freedom. Those who expect more out of them. There's just so many who don't. It scares me to be on the road with anybody, teen or adult, with this attitude.
Do you think under 18 year olds should be driving?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:03 AM
4 moms liked this
I have no problem with responsible teen drivers. I also have no problem with RESPONSIBLE adult drivers. I have seen enough crappy 'adult' drivers to really appreciate responsible teen drivers.
mackiebugsmom
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this, I feel safer in a car with my 16 year old sister than my 50 year old uncle. Some teens are responsible while some adults are not.

Quoting TableforSeven:

I have no problem with responsible teen drivers. I also have no problem with RESPONSIBLE adult drivers. I have seen enough crappy 'adult' drivers to really appreciate responsible teen drivers.
kmt_771
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:10 AM

I agree with both statements.

Quoting mackiebugsmom:

I agree with this, I feel safer in a car with my 16 year old sister than my 50 year old uncle. Some teens are responsible while some adults are not.

Quoting TableforSeven:

TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:11 AM
EXACTLY!!
My oldest daughter was awesome behind the wheel from the start (she started driving at 16 and is now 20). I won't get in a car to drive around the corner with my 66 year old FIL - his driving scares the crap out of me!

Quoting mackiebugsmom:

Quoting TableforSeven:

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Agree.

Quoting kmt_771:

I agree with both statements.

Quoting mackiebugsmom:

Quoting TableforSeven:

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I actually agree with you, and I got my license at 15. 

G2Mama
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I think it depends on the child and the parent.  When my son gets to that point he will have to prove to me that he can drive somewhere alone and in order for him to do that he will have to drive with me or my husband for a while.  even then, I'm not going to turn him lose.  I was run off the road yesterday on my way to pick up ds from car pool.  It was high schoolers, just getting out of school joking around.  They pointed and laughed when they went by me.  I was livid!  I called highway patrol and then the school to report it.

Marimaru
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I think there are plenty of teens who are responsible about driving.

I think there are plenty of adults who should NOT be driving.  

It should be harder to get a license, and it should be harder to KEEP a license.  If both of those are true, I think 16 is fine to get one's license.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I made my kids wait til 18 & out of high school. I did not want my kids driving to/from school with all the other teenage drivers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I think it depends on the individual teen and the level of responsibility they have. For instance here in Ohio, if a teen before the age of 18 gets a drivers license, you have to actually pay for driving school (around 500.00). Our daughter,if she wants her DL before the age of 18 she will have to save her own money (from allowance and birthdays and such) to pay for driving school herself. We brought this to her attention when she was 14. She is almost 16 and hasn't saved a dime (she likes to spend her money when she gets it) which is fine by us.

also in the state of Ohio, it is mandatory for any driver under the age of 18 to be on their parents ins. And most ins will allow the children to remain on their parents ins until the age of 21. So it's really not up to the teen before the age of 18 to pay ins or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN