Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

If you're filing Income Taxes this could happen to you

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM
  • 15 Replies

I e filed my income taxes this morning only to get a rejection 45 minutes later. When I went onto Turbo Tax to see what the problem was it stated that someone had already claimed my daughter.

I'm married and we file a joint return. I have never sold my child's social security number for tax purposes. I'm sitting here thinking and I think I've figured out what they did. I have 5 children....you are only aloud to claim 3 they probably thought no one would catch it.

According to the customer service agent at the IRS their are Tax preparers out here selling social security numbers. I have since found out that this has happened to 4 people that I know this year.

I just want everyone to be aware of this Tax Fraud that is going on right now....this can happen to anyone. Now I have to mail in my return and it can take up to 8 weeks to get this resolved. According to someone else this has happened to it can take longer than that.

The IRS also said that she recommend that I get my daughter a new Social Security number. I didn't even know you could get a new one but I'm going to look into it or get her social security number flagged.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Gah!  What horrible crooks!!  I hope that doesn't happen to us.  I am sorry you are dealing with that.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Getting a new soc sec is near impossible. You have to prove someone is using it and not just a keying mistake. There has to be more than just a tax return. SSI office can run report to see if an adult is trying to use SS for working. (Illegal immagrants buy those numbers)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Thank you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovingjx3lild
by Tamika on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok...it sounded weird to me to but thats just what customer service lady said. I'll have to look into having it flagged.

Quoting conniejo75:

Getting a new soc sec is near impossible. You have to prove someone is using it and not just a keying mistake. There has to be more than just a tax return. SSI office can run report to see if an adult is trying to use SS for working. (Illegal immagrants buy those numbers)

TattoomamaPink
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:58 AM
That's bullshit !! So many crooked people out there !!!
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Wow
VintageWife
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:43 AM
My husbands identity was stolen for taxes last year. It took till the end of the year to sort out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Good luck getting it all sorted out. That's terrible.

whatmynameagain
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Happened to us last year. We didn't have much to claim though. IRS had Dh go to the main HQ here in FL and file out some paper they were really no help AT ALll. Also we filed a police report so it would be on record. Its s very common problem here in FL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMDS0304
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:56 AM
I would just have her SSN flagged.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)