Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Should I be angry about this?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 22 Replies
My in laws watched my 4 year old son last night for a couple of hours. While he was there, my MIL let him play on her tablet which she does often. He accidently dropped it and cracked the screen. We are going to replace it or have it fixed just to save on the family drama but I am completely pissed!! I could see it being our responsibility if he had thrown it or if we had let him use it. I could also see if he had used it without permission but in this situation I don't think it should be up to us to replace it. They let him use it when we were not even there. They had to know that with a 4 year old, accidents happen and this was a possibility. So, am I being unreasonable? Like I said before, we are going to take care of it but I hate feeling like they are not owning up to their fault in this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brooked18
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
That is totally their fault! It isn't like he did it in purpose, did they act like they were expecting you to oay fir it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

No you're not being unreasonable.  You should not have to replace it.

jillbailey26
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

She let him use it, she should pay for it.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

easternwamom
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Yes. My FIL pulled my husband aside to let him know what kind it was and then texted him the info again last night.

Quoting Brooked18:

That is totally their fault! It isn't like he did it in purpose, did they act like they were expecting you to oay fir it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brooked18
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Was this after you said you'd oay for it? Oh this isn't even me and it makes me mad!!!!

Quoting easternwamom:

Yes. My FIL pulled my husband aside to let him know what kind it was and then texted him the info again last night.

Quoting Brooked18:

tanper29
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM
U should tell ur in laws that they should be paying for it. I understand u dont want the drama but this totaly on them. They allowed ur 4yr old to play with something expensive while in their care. I wonder what Judge Judy would say about this one?
easternwamom
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM
No. My husband asked if they expected us to pay for it. If it were just me I would have told them I am not paying for it but I don't want to cause problems between my husband and his parents. I guess from now on if they watch my kids I will have to be very explicit about what they can and can't play with while they are there.

Quoting Brooked18:

Was this after you said you'd oay for it? Oh this isn't even me and it makes me mad!!!!

Quoting easternwamom:

Quoting Brooked18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AuntieMom101
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM
3 moms liked this
The minute she handed your son the tablet she assumed responsibility for whatever happened to it. I personally would have said " Oh that really sucks! Did you learn anything???" Lol. But I can tend to be on the rude side at times :)
easternwamom
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I was actually wondering that last night. Lol. She would have a freaking blast with my husbands family. I would love to see it.

Quoting tanper29:

U should tell ur in laws that they should be paying for it. I understand u dont want the drama but this totaly on them. They allowed ur 4yr old to play with something expensive while in their care. I wonder what Judge Judy would say about this one?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CotterpinDoozer
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Whoa, unless you already offered to do pay for it then your FIL was WAY out of line. I'd seriously rethink letting him spend time alone with them if every time something happens that they allowed they expect you to foot the bill. Sure if he threw it or you had been letting him play with it without their permission, then I understand why you should pay, but in this situation, I see absolutely no reason you should have to pay just because they were careless with their expensive toy.

Quoting easternwamom:

Quoting Brooked18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN